Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Spelling and grammar errors.

AFAIK, successfuly.

Found in:

"Remote healing was successfuly casted." in console,

"You successfuly created (...)" in manufacture window.

Well I don't get #hints very often :roll: but I saw two typo's there:

scroll through the text.

disappear faster, so they are NOT reliable for storing things in them!

(And hey! great to have us back! :))

This is the "end-all list to NPC spelling errors in the TEST SERVER" (or...so I think :D)

Before I get started on the NPC's here are a few other things I've noticed 'wrong'....

When u go up in your overall level and the advancement message appears, it says you can talk to "the Wraith." Is he a person or a thing? I think you see what I'm getting at there.

Right-Click on Pickaxe --- "used for MINNING.."

And finally a bug...been there ever since I started playing...maybe already been reported (even in old server)....but anywhooo

Walking FROM WSC to Portland and you go in the cave.... I always get this error

"./3DOBJECTS/STRUCTURES/SIGN.E3D . TWO OR MORE MATERIALS WITH THE SAME TEXTURE NAME!" (Actually says it twice, but I got alot of typing ahead of me)

On with the NPC's!!!

-------THE WRAITH------

"Great! You just GO the Godless Perk!" [got]

-------TRIK-------

"....magic items, for my army." [remove teh comma]

-------GOLRIC------

"DIAMON EMBEDING" [diamond embedding (all embeding should be changed)]

-------KARN-------

"QUATER STAFF" [quarter]

-------VICTOR------

"Powersaving" [seems wrong...should be hyphenated...up to you]

".....food elvel wll...." [in description of powersaving cloak; food level will]

-------FRUKAS-------

"BIOCHEMESTRY" [biochemistry]

"SNAKES SUM." [i noticed it is the only summoning that is plural, looks wierd.]

-------HENRIK-------

"...also train instinct if you pay well" [No option to train that now]

-------PAUL---------

"STEEL TWO EDGES" [should be edge]

-------HARVY-------

".....and mercuriy." [under his SELL option, mercury]

"We are short........I'll gladly buy it." [is he a we? or I? :D]

And finally DAN, I saved him for last because I also wanted to talk about the usage of equipment names.

"General Metalurgy books" [metallurgy]

Now I was looking at the different armor books and noticed some (or what appears to be) flaws. I did not have enough money to buy them all and see exactly what they truly represented (by hence making the items); but here goes...

He sells books entitled "IRON CUISSES" (which should be cuisse)

"IRON GREAVES" "IRON PLATEMAIL"

A cuisse is plate armor protecting the front thighs. Greaves are IMO so closely similar there is no difference. But I was thinking...maybe the book titled "IRON CUISSES" was meant to be "IRON CUIRASS". (A cuirass being plate armor that protects the front and back upper body). But if that is so, then what is the IRON PLATEMAIL?

Like I said, I can't know what they will end up making...but maybe it gave you ideas/or made you realize something; or maybe I'm stoopid :P

Well that's all folks, catch you later.

A cuisse is plate armor protecting the front thighs. Greaves are IMO so closely similar there is no difference.

Cuisses for thighs, greaves for lower legs (calves and ankles).

In game, these two are the iron equivalent of pants and boots respectively.

Well if you look in a dictionary greaves are defined as 'below the knee'.

And cuisse is 'thigh'. So you are technically right.

But typically when used (in my experience) greaves and cuisse are *generally* used as describing leg armor. (in general)

Wow that sentence was OVERLY redundant. :P

OHHH and I didn't check any priests cause I have the godless perk :D

I agree with you about the cuirass / platemail thing though. "Platemail" would be more likely to refer to the full suit rather than just the torso and arm protection it probably means in this case. In fact, "platemail" is a misnomer (I blame Gary Gygax :D ) - if it's plate then it isn't mail. "Cuirass" may be a better term, even though the in-game version will probably include pauldrons, rerebraces, couters and vambraces - but then the "greaves" will probably include sabatons, and I dare say the "cuisses" will come with poleyns, tassets and faulds (and the faulds and tassets are technically part of the cuirass).

It's more to do with differentiating between the parts of the model than the individual pieces of armour. There are a lot more parts to a suit of armour than can reasonably be represented separately in a game like this. :P The upper and lower leg need separate pieces though, because of the whole "shirt, pants, boots" thing in the model design, hence the need for the distinction between greaves and cuisses (that and the desire to avoid calling them "iron pants" :D ).

One cuisse protects one thigh by the way. If you have a pair of legs, you need a pair of cuisses. :)

:roll: Sorry for all the waffling, it seems I got a bit carried away there. :oops:

I know that you need a pair of cuisses, but I was thinking the book should be "IRON CUISSE". Cause if you can make one, you can make 2. :D

Ok done with that :P But if it is made in game as 1 item, then it is correct the way it is.

Yes, I wasn't going to comment on the platemail thing, because I had already listed alot of things, and didn't want to come off like a know-it-all.

Back to the greaves; I maybe totally off on my history here, but weren't they typically only used by knights on horseback? I mean, its plate-armor and usually swordplay doesn't go that low in man-to-man, feet planted on ground fighting. (Well there are rats and beavers and snakes that bite down there in this game.) If I'm not mistaken, greaves are strapped around the upper boots so as to keep men from slicing the lower legs of men on horsebacks. So they are just *added* protection to the boots.

To keep things simple, yet have a feel of realism... I suggest the following,

Helmet

Cuirass

Right Pauldron

Left Pauldron

Cuisses

Boots

If a player is wearing all those things that still leaves 2 blocks open to wear medallions/shield/sword....etc

Back to the greaves; I maybe totally off on my history here, but weren't they typically only used by knights on horseback?

Knights would usually start out on horseback, but would often dismount (intentionally or otherwise) during the course of a battle, and would be unlikely to stop to remove their greaves when they did. :D Also, foot combat in tournaments would take place in full plate.

usually swordplay doesn't go that low in man-to-man, feet planted on ground fighting.

If you don't cover it up, some bastard will try to cut it off. :P

There isn't any reason not to wear greaves if you're wearing everything else.

Besides, historical accuracy or otherwise is not the issue here. People want their metal footwear. "Iron greaves" sounds better than "iron boots". The actual item will probably be a combination of greaves and sabatons, like these.

To keep things simple, yet have a feel of realism... I suggest the following,

Helmet

Cuirass

Right Pauldron

Left Pauldron

Cuisses

Boots

This is the point I was trying to make (perhaps somewhat badly) with my earlier waffling about various pieces of armour.

Although there are now 8 worn equipment slots in the inventory, there are still only 4 armour locations: the head, the body (torso and arms), the legs (from the waist to just below the knee) and the feet (from just below the knee downwards). For some reason, gloves / gauntlets count as a weapon rather than armour, and aren't shown on the models anyway.

Because of this, any "body" armour, be it a mail shirt or a cuirass + pauldrons, etc., must be a single item. Even if realistically one of these four locations should be covered by several pieces, or if one piece should cross a boundary between the locations, it can't be done with the existing system and changing it would only complicate matters.

I ran my copy of knowledge.lst (new server) through a spell checker and found:

jewlery (jewelry)

medalions (medallions)

biochemestry (biochemistry)

restauration (restoration)

When you try to cast 'Teleport to Range' while attacking, the message that comes up telling you that you cannot.... the word melee is spelled wrong.

At wraith, vitality explanation: "reeduces"
Same piece of text:

... increases the (ethreal points ...