Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fred_penner

Area effect magic spells

What about implementing magic spells that effect an area? They're cast on an area and effect creatures and players in that area for a set time.

I'm sure you all know what I mean: for example, a "noxious cloud" that you can cast and causes x damage per second to any creature in the cloud.

You could tweak it into all kinds of things too: gas clouds, metor showers, fire rain, some kind of ground effect that holds you in place, etc.

*thinks* Hmm.... cast "noxious cloud" just before the exit from the Underworld...evil...

Will it cause server lag, I wonder? The current area effect spells - namely, Heal Summoned and Smite Summoned - are both immediate-effect spells, so they don't really cause much of a strain on the server. But if you have a spell that constantly needs a visual effect over a period of time - worse still, if you have MULTIPLE spells active at the same time in a battlefield - won't it cause lag?

-Lyn-

if you have MULTIPLE spells active at the same time in a battlefield - won't it cause lag?

It think it's more about your local computing power than the server. Your own machine will be rendering the graphics, the server just tells it what to render and where.

Lol, you also played Baldurs Gate ?

Ya. I was way into that game then upgraded my O/S and it wouldn't work anymore. I was in withdrawl for weeks....

You might have upgraded an OS with a lower DirectX version than it should be.

(Get the between the eyes Boo, goooo)

more spells! more spells! spells are good...away with melee and in with magic...EL needs to upgrade the spell list next...Not to pressure the EL team though....lol :(

well there are plans to redo some of the magic system (mostly the way you get spells and sigils)...

the only way the server will notices that there are a lot of spells in the same place is that it will have to apply a lot of effects at the same time every time someone walks into the area. as for the client, it will be like when you walk near to a storage like in votd or when you walk close to a corn field. all the models make the system stall somehow...