Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gnupooh

Ongoing trouble with ATI fglrx driver on Linux laptop

OK I've report this once before, but I've got screen shots this time! Note the bookcase is transparent in the front in the first one and the wooden cone that shouldn't be there in the second.

http://www.gnupooh.org/pdstrg1.png

http://www.gnupooh.org/pdstrg2.png

It flickers quickly between these messed up rendered versions and the correct scene so I had to time these screen shots just right. However, it's totally annoying to try to play on the laptop in question. Note: I'm using the latest ATI propritary driver, version 3.9.0, not the XFree86 or X.org version. I've gotten the CVS version and disabled all the GL extension to see if it makes any difference, it doesn't effect the problem. I've tried different resolutions and all the different settings including poor man and nothing helps. I actually get about 45 fps, so performance is not an issue.

I should also note that if I don't turn off shadows the game will crash immediately at line 118 in shadows.c where it calls glDrawArrays. It gets a traceback of thousands of recursive calls to a function "s8066" in the ATI driver, which I'm guessing refers to GL_TEXTURE_PRIORITY, which shares the same ID number of 8066.

At this point it seems really easy to blame the driver, but the problem doesn't occur on any other 3D titles I've tried. So at the very least EL is doing something different. I'd love to play with the source and comment out certain sections to see if it helps, but I've done that some, I haven't found anything that really affects the problem. So if you have any suggestions about where to look. I'd appreciate it.

BTW, the chip in question is a "MOBILITY RADEON 9000 DDR Generic"

Thanks,

Rick (aka GnuPooh)

Well, since it crashes in the ATI driver, it's not really our fault. It doesn't crash like this on any other video card.

The thing is, laptop video cards suck. They are usually the scalled down version of a real card, and their drivers are just horrible.

BTW, can you try to increase the video memory? Like giving more system RAM to the video.

I think it's a problem with immature drivers...

I'd blame drivers too, as i've seen this game run with mobility radeon 7000 without problems using XFree's ATI drivers.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this