Eternal Lands Official Forums
thgilsrooc

1.9.0 Linux question

For those on ubuntu, 1.9 is available on the repository. Do you want us to do a complete remove of the app or does the deb package take care of that by default during an update?

For those on ubuntu, 1.9 is available on the repository. Do you want us to do a complete remove of the app or does the deb package take care of that by default during an update?

The 1.9.0 available in the repository is still the release candidate (-rc tag). I'll update to the final release this evening so you might as well wait until then. The package update will automatically, completely remove all the old data files and executables. However, it will only remove files that were installed by the earlier package. So, if you added extra files into the data directory yourself, they will remain after the update and you must remove them yourself. If this is the case, I suggest you to the update in three steps. 1) Remove the old packages. 2) Check the data directory /usr/share/games/EternalLands/ and remove anything that's left. 3) Install the new packages. If you follow these steps, the music and sound packages will be removed too but just reinstall then; the bulk of the download will have been cached in /var/cache/eternallands/ so it will be very quick. If you have placed additional files like tab maps in ~/.elc/updates/1_8_0 (as suggested) then you will have to manually copy the files to ~/.elc/updates/1_9_0/. Be very careful what you copy over!

All this is only true (including the update today) if you are using the packages I build - the ones linked from the main EL website download page. If you are using the playdeb packages, while they are based on my packages, they may work slightly differently and I do not know when they will be updated.

Edited by bluap

Sounds great. I will do just as you say.  Yes, and I use your repository linked off this site, which is very helpful. ;)

The 1.9.0 available in the repository is still the release candidate (-rc tag). I'll update to the final release this evening so you might as well wait until then. The package update will automatically, completely remove all the old data files and executables. However, it will only remove files that were installed by the earlier package. So, if you added extra files into the data directory yourself, they will remain after the update and you must remove them yourself. If this is the case, I suggest you to the update in three steps. 1) Remove the old packages. 2) Check the data directory /usr/share/games/EternalLands/ and remove anything that's left. 3) Install the new packages. If you follow these steps, the music and sound packages will be removed too but just reinstall then; the bulk of the download will have been cached in /var/cache/eternallands/ so it will be very quick. If you have placed additional files like tab maps in ~/.elc/updates/1_8_0 (as suggested) then you will have to manually copy the files to ~/.elc/updates/1_9_0/. Be very careful what you copy over! All this is only true (including the update today) if you are using the packages I build - the ones linked from the main EL website download page. If you are using the playdeb packages, while they are based on my packages, they may work slightly differently and I do not know when they will be updated.