Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Raytray

Opening URL doesn't work

Backing up, I recently switched from KDE to Gnome, thus changing my default browser from konqueror to firefox. Previously, el's option had set to open konqueror for URLs, that had worked. Now however, I changed the command to variations of firefox, "firefox -new-tab", "/usr/bin/firefox", "/usr/bin/firefox -new-tab", "firefox -new-tab %s", etc. With and without quotation marks, in game and in el.ini to no avail.

I have taken a look at this: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...amp;hl=browser* among other searches.

My F1-12 keys do work, and F1 does bring down the console.

So I ask, how may I possibly resolve this issue?

variations of firefox, "firefox -new-tab", "/usr/bin/firefox", "/usr/bin/firefox -new-tab", "firefox -new-tab %s", etc. With and without quotation marks, in game and in el.ini to no avail.

Perhaps a silly question, but have you tried just plain "firefox" (no quotes)?

...that's what i used when FF was my browser of choice, always worked fine on Debian and ArchLinux.

EDIT:

If that's no good, if you run a Debian derived distro (Ubuntu, Mepis, etc.), you could try setting it to "x-www-browser" and using the 'alternatives' system to configure which browser it should use. (Personally i always used Galternatives to configure them)... but so long as you can type "firefox" into a terminal and get a browser window, i don't see how that will work if just "firefox" doesn't.

EDIT2:

Also fyi, Firefox's default behaviour should be to launch URLs it's passed in a new tab, you shouldn't need any command line parameters.

Edited by Korrode

I have tried with no quotes.

I just tried xdg-open and that did not help either.

i have also left it blank.

I'm also confused as to the problem as well Korrode. :whistle:

edit: Here's another odd bit.

Currently, I am using a executable script to launch the program (so I don't have to cd into the folder myself). Doing so allows me access to /dev/[sound/]dsp which gives me sound.

When I launched the game by hand, cd'ing to the folder and then launching the game. It tells me /dev/[sound/]dsp is busy, but allows me to launch urls whereas the script doesn't.

Edited by Raytray

Currently, I am using a executable script to launch the program (so I don't have to cd into the folder myself). Doing so allows me access to /dev/[sound/]dsp which gives me sound.

When I launched the game by hand, cd'ing to the folder and then launching the game. It tells me /dev/[sound/]dsp is busy, but allows me to launch urls whereas the script doesn't.

What's in the script that makes the sound work?

If you launch EL as superuser from a terminal does sound work then? (without needing the script)

It's just a bash script launched as a regular user.

cd /Games/eternal-lands

./el.x86whatever

Same thing as I did when I did it by hand.

Nothing in the script indicates that it should make sound work.

As root, /dev/[sound/]dsp is still busy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this