Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
marack

Market Channels

I'd like to suggest two marketing channels in game. One for BOTs and one for everyone else.

The reason as I see it is two types of makets evolving in game, BOTs with fixed buy/sell prices and the other, people buying/selling/bartering in real time.

Thanks for your consideration.

why 2 channels? If you dont want to see the bots just hit #ignore_bot then u will just see the players on the market channel.

I'd like to suggest two marketing channels in game. One for BOTs and one for everyone else.

If you searched you'd find previous threads where this has been discussed in great (even painful) detail.

The reason as I see it is two types of makets evolving in game, BOTs with fixed buy/sell prices and the other, people buying/selling/bartering in real time.

Beyond the #ignore_bots command that has been pointed out already, it is worth considering that bots' prices are not necessarily fixed. In fact, many bots adjust their prices dynamically, based on how much they have in store of a certain ingredient, how fast they can sell something, etc. So, there is really only one market. The only difference would be in timing: bots are online 24/7, people is not. But then, their not being online would not be affected by having 1 or 2 market channels, no? :confused:

Some time ago someone tried making channel 33 an alternative market channel free from bots, I don't think it worked.

@Nola: This may work if we also had a #ignore_everyone_else. However, my point was not to turnoff one from the other.

@bkc56: I did do some searching but found most people wanting to hide BOT broadcasts from everyone else which was accomplished by the #ignore_bot command. Another attempt was the 'color highlighting' broadcasts to somehow separate the two but visiable to everyone. This was not the point of may post and apologize if I didn't make that distinction at the start.

@korrode: ;p

@Usl: My thought for the two channels was to create a RL analogy of the 'Shopping Mall' and the 'Flea Market'. The Mall representated by BOTs and Flea markets for everyone else. This was more to my point.

Thanks guys :D

@Usl: My thought for the two channels was to create a RL analogy of the 'Shopping Mall' and the 'Flea Market'. The Mall representated by BOTs and Flea markets for everyone else. This was more to my point.

Ah, I see. So it was bargain vs. non-bargain, if I understand correctly. In practice we have some similar analogy, although not exactly the one you proposed. In particular, there are multiple venues for shopping (some of them just proposed, but never implemented):

• flea market (bazar): shopping in local at populated storages
  • flea market (global, but human-only): the attempted (and failed, I believe) channel 33 for player-only market
  • shopping mall: the shopping arcades proposed by Roja, with lineup of bots in market-like scenery, all talking in local.
  • huge market: channel 3, with both bargaining (humans) and non-bargaining (bots) agents.
  • Internet shopping: do a query on Rraisa, PM the matching bots.
  • Garage sales: periodic postings on the Market forum.
  • Auction house: postings on the Market forum.
  • One-to-one barter: on PM, @guild , #GM or #IG among friends.

I am sure people smarter than me, of which there is plenty, might find more venues that I forgot. And those are all "official" venues; there have been various attempts at web systems for shopping (e.g., bots-specific or guild-specific web pages, market synopsis in signatures, etc.).

The idea of splitting 3 (market) and 33 (player-only market) failed in practice, because it did not attract enough population to 33 to keep the player-only market functioning. In theory it could have worked, subject to the limit of 3 channels open at the same time, which makes it impractical for most people to keep both 3 and 33 open at the same time: hence, people will often prefer a single market channel anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion!