Eternal Lands Official Forums
LeaChim

Linux infinite loop ioctl on /dev/dri/card0

After a reboot client works fine. After several hours, client crashes. no recent information in error log.

Then when I attempt to restart the client, it gets to login, and after I click 'log in', it appears to hang.

If I strace the process id, It appears to be executing this syscall over and over:

ioctl(8, 0x40046445, 0xbff72938) = 0

And looking in /proc/id/fd

lrwx------ 1 michael michael 64 2008-08-21 22:06 8 -> /dev/dri/card0

Any ideas?

Ubuntu Hardy

lspci | grep -i vga

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

xorg.conf:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Generic Video Card"

Driver "intel"

BusID "PCI:0:2:0"

EndSection

dpkg:

ii xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.2.1-1ubuntu13.6

Ubuntu Hardy....

Thanks. Are you using the Ubuntu packages or the generic zip file? Also do you have any error messages the file $HOME/.elc/error_log.txt? The sound system causes some of the ioctl() calls, is sound working OK? In fact, if I turn sound off completely using the "Disable Sound & Music System" option in the configuration window (Audio tab), there are very few ioctl() calls at all after the initial startup until I exit the client. Does turning off sound in this way help?

Ubuntu Hardy....

Thanks. Are you using the Ubuntu packages or the generic zip file? Also do you have any error messages the file $HOME/.elc/error_log.txt? The sound system causes some of the ioctl() calls, is sound working OK? In fact, if I turn sound off completely using the "Disable Sound & Music System" option in the configuration window (Audio tab), there are very few ioctl() calls at all after the initial startup until I exit the client. Does turning off sound in this way help?

Edit: Sorry, 'm not thinking straight today, you already said there was nothing in your error file and that the ioctl() device was /dev/dri/card0!

Edit 2: An now I can't even edit my own post properly. I'm off to bed.....

Edited by bluap

After a reboot client works fine. After several hours, client crashes. no recent information in error log.

Then when I attempt to restart the client, it gets to login, and after I click 'log in', it appears to hang.

After the client crashes, when you can't restart without the hang, have you tried restarting your Xserver and reloading the driver module rather than rebooting? Are you doing anything in particular or are you in a particular place when the client crashes? From your description, it sounds like the crash is leaving the Xserver in a bad state and that leads to the hang. Have I understood things correctly this time? Are you doing any resolution changes or full/windowed changes? There are known issues with doing this on some graphics cards.

I think you have a couple of options to help tract this down. 1) Disable lots of graphic options to see if that helps. If you are not already doing so, you could for example play for a while with the "poor man" option set. If that works would could gradually enable more options to see which is causing the crash. 2) You could compile a debug enabled version of the client and run within gdb or try to get a core dump. I or others here can certainly help with doing that if needed.

Edited by bluap

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.