Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Elgoran

Minor encyclopedia improvement

Hi. I read some thredas about links from the inventory to the necyclopedia or formula bots and such stuff. In my oppinion it would be completely sufficient if the encyclopedia contained links to go backward in the production process. So actually to put links on all the ings, tools and knowledge books needed to make a specific item. This would allow players to navigate it more freely instead of going forward only and using the Back-buttons at the top of the page. I would not recommend underlining these new links though, since too much underlining makes a text in general unreadable. Just adjust the textcolour a little, so everyone knows they're links. In my oppinion this would greatly enhance the usability of the ency and might not require much work. (In html this could be done in less than 1 day, but i don't know anything about c) Additionally, since i think the ency is saved client-side, although i'm not completely sure of this, i'd like to have a download option for an ency package like the one for the sound package. Since the encyclopedia might have to be updated more often than the whole client.

With best regards,

Elgoran.

put links on all the ings, tools and knowledge books needed to make a specific item. This would allow players to navigate it more freely instead of going forward only and using the Back-buttons at the top of the page.

Technically this should probably be posted in the Encyc section (see further down) as it would more likely be seen by those that maintain the Encyc.

As for the idea, I like it. I think being able to cross-reference things is important. Having added the links for all the new items a couple of years (and many updates) ago, it is a big job so I don't know how likely it is to happen. It would take someone very motivated to achieve it.

Out of interest, this level of cross-referencing (and more!) is available on the CEL guild website (http://www.el-cel.com).

i'd like to have a download option for an ency package like the one for the sound package. Since the encyclopedia might have to be updated more often than the whole client.

The Encyclopedia is certainly updated on a different schedule to that of the client, and it is even hosted in a different repository, but it is a relatively large amount of work to release the Encyc (collecting all the correct files) and hence it is currently only done when a new client is available.

You can however run the most up-to-date version of the Encyc if you wish, however it is a slightly more technical process than just downloading and unzipping a file. For instructions on this check the Encyc section of the forums.