Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gnupooh

Linux culling/textures problem with ATI 9000

I enjoy a great picture with no problems using either of NVidia based machines, however, my laptop has a ATI 9000 chip in it and I have some rather nasty image problems. It's as though a transform or a some culling isn't happing correctly. When I get near some trees it flashes various strange shapes of green leaves. When I get near a flower bed I'll get a flashing of all different kinds of flowers. Perhaps, it's that the driver thinks the chip has more memory than it really does so it's overwritting it's own memory between textures and framebuffer. That's what it looks like, textures going straight to the framebuffer. Maybe it doesn't have enough video memory to play el correctly.

Anyway, I'd love to say it's just a ATI driver problem, but I've never seen it do this w/ any other program.

I'd be more than happen to debug this if anyone is interested. I'll even send money if that will help. :)

Thanks,

Rick (aka GnuPooh)

um, i have ATi 7200 with 32 ram, and no similar problem with EL under linux, haven't tried in windows though..

try getting latest SDL libs

That sounds like a problem I had with my laptop with radeon drivers. Try putting

export R200_NO_TCL=1

into your .profile- turning off TCL (whatever that is) fixed some flickering problems and random lock-ups I was experiencing in Linux.

Guest azron

Hey I have the exact same problem and I tried the export listed above and it didn't help. Has anyone fixed this?

if you don't see a message like "disabling TCL support" when you close the client (assuming you run the client from a shell window) then it didn't work - either you mistyped the command, or you aren't using the bash shell (I don't know the syntax for the other shells) or your version of the driver doesn't accept this directive.

Guest azron
if you don't see a message like "disabling TCL support" when you close the client (assuming you run the client from a shell window) then it didn't work - either you mistyped the command, or you aren't using the bash shell (I don't know the syntax for the other shells) or your version of the driver doesn't accept this directive.

I am using bash and I checked to make sure it had set this to 1. Does the TCL disable setup need to be done before the driver is insmod'd? I am using the latest driver. What version are you using?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this