Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LIGHTspeed

Several problems/questions (Ubuntu)

A while ago I posted this thread, trying to get EL to work on Vista. We've recently installed Ubuntu on the same system, and I'm a newbie to all types of Linux,

so I have a couple questions.

I downloaded the game and was able to get it running yesterday, but at only 3 FPS with poor man on and all quality options off. My guess is that it was trying to run without using the Graphics card.(SiS mirage integrated) I tried to point Ubuntu to the correct drivers, and it did a fatal crash and deleted everything on GDM or something. Today I reinstalled everything and now EL crashes after loading.

(Sorry for so much info, but I was hoping I could find someone'd who'd know something about that at the same time. :))

Question: The reason it gives for crashing this time is that it can't find servers.lst, but I made sure to get the correct data directory and everything...

Question #2: The site mentions doing a chmod 775 to "install.sh", but there doesn't appear to be any file named that in the folder. What is that?

Thank you for any and all help. :)

Edited by LIGHTspeed

there is no install.sh

Just give execute permissions to el.x86.linux.bin (iirc) and execute that.

Ok, thank you... That's what I was doing to get it to work yesterday... But today I did the same thing and get a crash after loading.

there is no install.sh

Maybe the mention of it should be removed from the site, so as not to confuse people like me. :)

Edit: Needed to better clarify some things.

Edited by LIGHTspeed

Ok, I was able to get it up and running again, but it still only gets 2-3 FPS, and the CPU usage is 95-100%!

Is this because it's not using the Graphics Card to render it? How do I get that to work?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Try glxinfo | grep direct in a terminal. If it says 'no' after 'direct rendering' it's not enabled.

(If you don't have glxinfo on your system, install the package 'mesa-utils').

Most probably that will be the case because the SiS drivers for Xorg are pretty bad.

You could try out these drivers: http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsisvga.shtml

If that doesn't work, your best chance is asking in an Ubuntu Community, I guess.

They're usually very helpful and maybe someone had the same problem as you and put it in the wiki. :)

I tried that, and Ubuntu crashed. Now it won't start, but instead just loops the error "Too much work for IRQ16" forever. :laugh: (Thankfully we didn't have any files on it that weren't saved else-where)

Someone told me that it might mean the Video card is bad, which I wouldn't doubt since it didn't work on Vista right either... I just thought Vista's drivers were messed up. I think I'll just go and buy a PCI Graphics card...

Thanks for the help, everyone. :laugh:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this