Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eagleprince

Red Sea bridge

I just read that Osama's brother wants to build a bridge across the Red Sea. I initially thought it was a joke until I realised that it had much support and has more-or-less been approved by the two countries involved - Yemen and Djibouti.

A number of excuses have been given to support the idea, although I personally think it is not a good idea to build this bridge. One of my reasons is that there is too much political instability in these regions. This part of Africa - and yes, I am very African - is already very troubled. Think of Kenya, Somali, Sudan, Eritrea, etc. I also think that another unfortunate result of the bridge will simply be to bypass Gaza and ferry militants between Africa and the Middle East.

Apparently the area is also eartquake-prone, and you can imagine the high winds on a 28-km long bridge across empty water. I remember almost getting blown off the road while driving across a bridge less than a mile long!

I wonder what you all think.

BBC Report

Red sea Bridge

I guess the main thing that springs to my mind about this is how can anyone justify spending $70 billion (yes thats BILLION - said Dr Evil style) on a bridge in a region of the world that is generally acknowledged to be "third world" - when there is a lack of basic sanitation, widespread disease, regular civil wars, famines, droughts, lack of AID's/HIV treatment and little employment across much of the continent of Africe I'm sure that amount of money could be much better spent!!

Hopefully nothing will come of it.

Neildog: Of course that money can be spent to a better use, and should... that they're even considering something like this means they're moving up in the world!

That they are considering something like this only means that they are moving up in the world - when they spend roughly their GNP on useless projects like this, maybe they'll be as first world as the US or Europe! :)