Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  

notes on the map, zooming,portals

would be putting notes on the map possible? like "there is a good shopper". "there is a tree i like". "garis is here" and so on.

also, i would really use a zooming out feature. to see more what's going on around you. the city, for example, is a bit confusing.

portals for faster movement on the map could be interconected. not just two, but one would be pointing to another and so on i a circle, so you could get around the map by jumping from portal to portal. like a highway.

A zoom feature, or just a broader expanse for our view, is indeed a good idea. The thought of that occured to me as well, because it really is rather tedious clicking the mouse and watching my character move 3 steps only to have to keep clicking over and over again to reach a destination. Plus aside from that, a broader view of surroundings is just a good idea in itself.

Although, I don't think there is anything wrong with the portals as they are now. If they were all interconnected, there would be no point to the rest of the map. I mean why walk if you could just teleport all over the place? Nah, if you ask me, they're fine how they are now, and if anything, they should just be removed, so that players are forced to traverse the entire map, and not be able to use the portals at all, or perhaps once they reach a certain level, then make the portals available to those who've worked to earn the right to use them.

And about your first idea, what would be the purpose of doing that? It would probably be a lot more work than it seems like, and the result would be a rather pointless one... :?

ever played baldur's gate or elder scrolls? of course i could use gimp to draw a new map, where you would acctually know that there is a city(portland for example). but i would like to add notes on run, w/o repainting bitmaps.

and portals. yeah, there either shouldn't be any, but there are. so then they should work to their purpose. speeding things up. walking around empty maps isn't really what this game is about, is it? i wouldn't use 20 portals, but 3-4 portals at important points like cities would work. what is the point running about? just takes time. and i don't have that much of it, to spend it on pointlessly running where the same effekt could be achiaved with shortcuts. limit it to certain level and above, or a spell or something, i don't care. so that the noobbies would have to walk, but why should someone who walked the path 100 of times do that all over again? in what way does it improve the game?

what is the point running about? just takes time. and i don't have that much of it, to spend it on pointlessly running where the same effekt could be achiaved with shortcuts.

If you really don't have enough time to walk somewhere rather than relying on teleporting, then why are you playing a MMORPG in the first place? These games take time, lots and lots and lots of time. I think it'd be a good idea to limit the use of portals personally, because then all the effort put into making the maps and everything within them can be more appreciated, because no one will walk all that way when they have a choice otherwise, and not only that, the portals just seem out of place. You've got ships to take you from Isla Prima to White Stone, and yet here's a couple of portals to use instead?......sorry, but I just don't like the idea of the portals in the first place. I can see teleportation magic being a perfectly appropriate addition, perhaps using the existing portal spots as catalysts for the spells or something?

More importantly than that though, the zoom feature would be a good idea. It'd solve the problem of movement being too limited, plus you wouldn't have to worry about other suggested implementations such as tracking mouse clicks on the map, or constantly holding down the mouse in the direction you wish to go. With a broader view, you'd need to click less to get where you wanted to go, plus you could see your surroundings much easier, both of these things I'd consider to be of benefit to the game.

still the same. portals would be only inmap. not intermap. not many of them. could someone tell me, what is the point walking one path 1000 times, when there is nothing there? it would be like saying that ships spoil the game, because you don't have to walk across the continent and there is so many good maps. if you limit the portals to something like lvl, so that they can be used only by experienced player who have already been to the most parts, its ok. like gothic. you get there the teleportation runes later in the game, so that you wouldn't have to walk places that don't bring you anything. btw all quests like somewhere on the map, not at the portal entrances, so people would have to walk about the map anyway. not talking about the point that walking about maps and exploring is the idea of the game. but exploring, not traveling.

I think it's nice that there are teleporters to the other end of the map, but the game isn't meant to do everything for you. Yes, it would be convenient if Harvey were right next to the silver so you could sell it instantly, but I don't think a game should do everything for you. If you could just teleport freely, then why not just make everything right next to each other to begin with? Seriously, what's next? How about a guy that offers to max your stats for 1 gp? Or perhaps serpent swords should just spawn on isla prima. Remember, while walking takes forever, every convienience takes away from the game.

Here's a thought: how about special teleporters you can only use if you complete a difficult quest? Basically it's a key, but it wouldn't be an item you could sell or trade.

not saying teleports from silver to harvey. never said that. but teleports between a port, white stone, and graham village. in a circle. for example.

Solution B:

dont change the portals, change the SURROUNDINGS

ie more: animals/monsters/npcs with lil requests (for like 2k gold or something)

also for this reason: implement MORE easy animals and SOME EASY monsters