Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Revelation

Destruction by Invasion Creatures

During the invasion last weekend I had an idea that might be feasible, yet may take some coding to make possible. There have been topics on how to get people to participate more in these invasions. What if the monsters attacking had some sort of plan of destruction, i.e. taking out bridges, bot huts, and shops. If people were in danger of losing their path to havestables, then they might take more action to prevent it. This could also open up a means of gaining manufacturing experience by rebuilding the bridge or shop that was destroyed during the invasion. You could harvest logs and iron ore, manufacture rope and other materials needed for rebuilding and take them to the destroyed building and bridge. I don't know how much coding would be involved but then you could set up an action similar to harvesting that would rebuild the structure. This would increase teamwork after the monsters have been vanquished and provide a purpose during the invasions.

Would something similar to this be possible?

During the invasion last weekend I had an idea that might be feasible, yet may take some coding to make possible. There have been topics on how to get people to participate more in these invasions. What if the monsters attacking had some sort of plan of destruction, i.e. taking out bridges, bot huts, and shops. If people were in danger of losing their path to havestables, then they might take more action to prevent it. This could also open up a means of gaining manufacturing experience by rebuilding the bridge or shop that was destroyed during the invasion. You could harvest logs and iron ore, manufacture rope and other materials needed for rebuilding and take them to the destroyed building and bridge. I don't know how much coding would be involved but then you could set up an action similar to harvesting that would rebuild the structure. This would increase teamwork after the monsters have been vanquished and provide a purpose during the invasions.

Would something similar to this be possible?

:P

It would only be a problem for low level people if bridges were destroyes, we could tele over or use teleroom to another map.

And some high level PKers don't harvest. :P so why care ?

It would only be a problem for low level people if bridges were destroyes, we could tele over or use teleroom to another map.

I agree that high levels could teleport, it would just give the creatures more of a purpose in the invasions rather than aimlessly wandering the maps waiting to be killed. It would also give people a place to combine their forces for the defense of other structures, similar to when storage gets overran.

I agree that high levels could teleport, it would just give the creatures more of a purpose in the invasions rather than aimlessly wandering the maps waiting to be killed. It would also give people a place to combine their forces for the defense of other structures, similar to when storage gets overran.

Yes, low level people.

They are trying to kill the giants now.

They would have to work harder now to build new bridges, PKers will still not take part.

In terms of role play, the idea might be worth considering, but let's rediscuss it after player-built cities are introduced, with all related skills, items, etc. - there is no much point in hypothesizing destructions when you have no way of rebuilding them already implemented in the game.

But honestly, I believe that the cost of construction will be such that nobody will want to risk any damage to their structures... :P

If it could just be a role-play thing, it could be done at first more simply, similar to funding GIWS:

1) Make bridge/building destruction a random event that happens during invasions. If it happens, the path through/across the structure is blocked and when you try to use it, a text message announces something like "Invasion Damage. Path blocked for rebuilding."

2) Designate an NPC in charge of rebuilding efforts -- for instance, it could be Lord Luxin in WSC; he doesn't have much to do atm. There could be a few of these in important spots to cover one or a few maps -- like WSC to rebuild WS; PL to rebuild PL, DP, maybe MM; Idaloran to rebuild Idal, Bethel, etc. You get the picture.

3) Harvesters and manuers then can donate materials to the NPC to repair damage to structures -- logs, hammers, nails, rope, maybe some essences (matter, energy, magic?), depending on how building is envisioned. If ships/portals can get damaged, white fabric could be donated, too (for the sails).

4) When enough is donated, the structure is repaired, and the path is opened again.

5) Like funding GIWS, people could donate to these NPCs whenever they like. As long as the NPCs register enough materials "in stock", they will be able to repair invasion damage, so random damage events could be prevented by donating materials ahead of invasions. EDIT: After each invasion, the materials "in stock" will be depleted for repairs, a certain amount for each repair needed.

6) This could be changed later, when city-building gives us the ability to build structures ourselves.

Edited by peino

If it could just be a role-play thing, it could be done at first more simply, similar to funding GIWS:

1) Make bridge/building destruction a random event that happens during invasions. If it happens, the path through/across the structure is blocked and when you try to use it, a text message announces something like "Invasion Damage. Path blocked for rebuilding."

2) Designate an NPC in charge of rebuilding efforts -- for instance, it could be Lord Luxin in WSC; he doesn't have much to do atm. There could be a few of these in important spots to cover one or a few maps -- like WSC to rebuild WS; PL to rebuild PL, DP, maybe MM; Idaloran to rebuild Idal, Bethel, etc. You get the picture.

3) Harvesters and manuers then can donate materials to the NPC to repair damage to structures -- logs, hammers, nails, rope, maybe some essences (matter, energy, magic?), depending on how building is envisioned. If ships/portals can get damaged, white fabric could be donated, too (for the sails).

4) When enough is donated, the structure is repaired, and the path is opened again.

5) Like funding GIWS, people could donate to these NPCs whenever they like. As long as the NPCs register enough materials "in stock", they will be able to repair invasion damage, so random damage events could be prevented by donating materials ahead of invasions. EDIT: After each invasion, the materials "in stock" will be depleted for repairs, a certain amount for each repair needed.

6) This could be changed later, when city-building gives us the ability to build structures ourselves.

I like the improvements to my suggestion.

I know high level people might not need to worry about things, but high level people are the ones that do most of the fighting in invasions anyway. Maybe this would give low levelers a way to participate, even if they are just hauling resources to keep paths and buildings open for the ease of the high level people to reach the monsters or storage, etc.

Obstacles could be represented by using special "creatures" (ie, immobile actors), such as a pile of rubble.

Normal attacks do nothing, but take an appropriate tool and skill, and "use with", to "repair" (damage the "creature").

Suggested something in this vein long ago though...