Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
piffy

Magic - a new outlook

Well. I continually ssems to diagree with everybody But.....

Yes. I disagree with the magic system. More on. I disagree with magic concept

Why Mages cannot cast spells on combat? Why they should concentrate and so on? Because gandalf Seems to do it? Please. There are a whole bunch of different magic ways. described in books or films. Check "Joram's SWord" saga for example

If swordsmen can use his speciality whithout thinking on it , why a mage cannnot? In fact developing a good mage it's much harder than developing a good Swordsman

The only real reasons i can see behind of that are the following

A) Entropy don't want. full stop. is His game, i can disagree but nothing more

:P A magic system where magic can be used in any situation is too much for the server

Against the other reasons:

"Gandalf do's / dont' ": WEll First of all there's very low detail in magic description in LOTR ( And yes, i read the books 10 years before the film)

so it's very dificult to take this as starting point. And it isn't the most interesting magic system in the world. On the other hands,it doesn't fit on EL. In LOTR there are something like 2 mages and a couple of elves casting SPells IN THE WHOLE WORLD ( well, there are some minor spells casted here and there, BUT NO REAL MAGIC Apart from described above). In EL. on the start, EVERYBODY can use a bit a REAL MAGIC with a bit of effort

"Mages Will become God-like": Well. That's the primary reason to become a Mage. Being Incredibly powerful

"Mages should stay in second line" Oh yes. A character wastes his whole firts part of life learning magic to be able to say "oh plz, i'm a poor mage and i need a real warrior to kill that goblin".

"if mages are too powerful, rest of skills be abandoned": Well seems dificult to me. Amage should now alchemy to make essences, and harvesting to get the materials to essences.Also posibly manufacturing fro making magical artifacts(if they where impleemnted somewhere in future)

OR and enomous ammount of time AND HIGH combat skills to be able to make money and buy materials and/or essences or, more posibly a mis of two approximations. No other carreer requieres that

This is for the "magic Concept" in another message i talk about magic "system"