Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BrokenAero

LAN/Gateway times out until el.exe is closed

Been studying this issue for a while now. (still not done)

This happens pretty much every time Grue wants to have lunch with me.

I see the LAN spit and sputter, the game stops responding, Grue pays for dinner.

I have done some tests and diagnostics. For the most part, the imformation

is way to much to post, so I will save you a visit to the eye doctor.

Aside the millions of packets, and net/system diagnostics, is a more easily understood

way of showing it:

Pinging 192.168.x.x with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Reply from 192.168.x.x: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64

At the point at which the connection is resumed, is where I manually close EL (end task)

ALT + X does not work the same. (it either tries to connect, or completely drops Gateway)

At the point of the Gateway being dropped, the norm: Media Disconnected

If i manually close EL client, by way of End Task, I can save the Media Disconnect

from happening.

Typically associated with this incident is the log of one of the following, not both same time:

1. Passed Null Mutex (most often)

2. Error creating buffer: Invalid Operation (and) stop_stream - Error stopping stream - error: Invalid Value

Another situation I encounter is that the network bandwidth is narrowed.

My best estimate on narrowed-to ? dialup (I have broadband)

By starting download prior to game, the speeds are normal. When the game is launched,

the bandwidth is extremely low (up and down netpipe)

Along with the issues above, I get the accompanying "mal-formed packets" (packet analyzer)

Granted, analyzer's arent perfect, as they dont correctly identify what the dissector is doing.

If you really want to go blind, take a look at the packet info, but, I wont torture you like that.

I also did some tests on what files are being accessed and modified, once the game is started.

Quite the activity. For the most part, files being accessed from a location that, by default, doesnt contain them, and the need to find them in the secondary location, is the result of this. Most all the files

being accessed, seem to be for future use, in which I can understand why this may be.

One last point, in which I cant be sure is associated with this, but, here goes:

CPU spike to 100% -> SERVICES.EXE (very very rare, but I did catch a few of them)

This is clean install Windows 2000 Professional/SP4/DX 9/Nvidia 6600LE/AMD64 (recent install as of last week)

I had the same type issues (with exception to Passed Null Mutex/Update), as before I wiped the drive.

I tried both with/without sound enabled in game, and soundcard disabled from system. (same results)

The only game I have installed on this machine is EL.

I run no accelerators, or, any such caching/enhancing applications.

Maybe it seems like a long post, but if you really want to know, this is merely a small fraction of it.

My objective for this post is to let you know what is going on, in hopes, it can help the DEV's.

If there is any information that you need/request, please let me know.

P.S. if you need to move this to another section please do, or let me know. Thank You

Edited by BrokenAero

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this