Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cho-yun

Dagger wearing stance... etc.

i did a search and couldnt find things on it (searched 'dual dagger' 'dagger' 'fighting stance')

i did find

both things will happen :)

so... when daggers are added, fighting stance:

• Swords: Sword stances are fine
  • Axe: their ok as well
  • Dagger: have dagger upside down so the point is facing behind the person instead
  • dual dagger+sword: sword is facing forwards and dagger backwards
  • Emerald Claymore: holding it above the head and pointing it towards the ground (this makes it 2h)
  • dual daggers: both daggers facing backwards

maybe also add defense stance and offensive stance (<- think that one been suggested)

See:

Weapons & shields equip to left/right/two handed, so make Daggers equip to left hand, allowing sword & dagger, and a small shield (
) that equips to right hand, allowing small shield and dagger (and small and large shield?). This doesn't introduce any new features into the game mechanics.

This gets too involved with weapon skills; I don't think these are appropriate for this game, and there are better, more applicable systems which could be implemented (see my posts on fighting style threads).
Edited by trollson

those has stats +/- in them... i just looks...

like another eye candy thing

or instead of adding new dagger stances and changing game mechanics blah blah you could make the game handle dual knives/daggers with no shield or sword as it handles gloves, they are dual by defualt and only take up 1 slot but you cant put a shield or sword on while they are equipped, if they were facing downward it would look really cool with the normal boxing animation, kicking and all, and they would basically just be gloves with alot of hitting power (and a skin that looked like hands holding knives, not wearing gloves .. :) )

What you mean is that gloves are treated as a two handed weapon in EL. Actually I hadn't noticed (never tried gloves and shield).

Edited by trollson

What you mean is that gloves are treated as a two handed weapon in EL. Actually I hadn't noticed (never tried gloves and shield).

Gloves count as dual wep, so you can't add any weapon or shield while wearing gloves. This should change imo, since it makes no sense at all...When wielding a weapon, you would also be able to do so while wearing gloves...

exactly, you could simply make an item as if it were gloves but shaped like two daggers, nothing would have to be changed or added to the game mechanics at all.

exactly, you could simply make an item as if it were gloves but shaped like two daggers, nothing would have to be changed or added to the game mechanics at all.
Quite right; a matched pair of daggers would work as a single item, as a pair of gloves do now.

And as I refered to in the "Knives" thread; weapons, such as a single dagger, which equip to the left-hand/shield slot could be using in combination with any existing one-handed (right hand) weapon.

Since weapons and shields (etc) all just add to a single set of combat bonuses for a character, then by using a left-hand dagger you sacrifice the defensive bonus of a shield for the offensive bonuses of a second weapon. There would be no "second attack" for the off-hand weapon.

None of this introduces any new mechanics to the game.

I think that the OP's suggestion was more to do with character animations to vary according to the weapon(s) wielded. This would require a new set of animations to be defined, which is a non-trivial bit of work, but the implementation could be kept client side -- the server would still request animation "attack #4" for an actor, but the client knows what weapon that actor is equipped with, so chooses "attack #4 (long sword)".

If we are having more animations though, I'd rather like the client to respond to emotes ("trollson: sneezes") and insert an appropriate animation based on a keyword in the emote.

Edited by trollson

I think that the OP's suggestion was more to do with character animations to vary according to the weapon(s) wielded. This would require a new set of animations to be defined, which is a non-trivial bit of work, but the implementation could be kept client side -- the server would still request animation "attack #4" for an actor, but the client knows what weapon that actor is equipped with, so chooses "attack #4 (long sword)".

yes this is what i was suggesting lol..

yes this is what i was suggesting lol..

yeah thats what i'm talking about, what i mean is that adding dual daggers the same way gloves are now would mean daggers would not -need- a new animation, two downward facing daggers would look really cool with the standard boxing animation.

i'm not very experienced with this sort of thing but it seems that it should be -extremely- easy

as for dual wielding a sword and a dagger, that just doesnt seem very practical... it would be like baking a chicken in the toaster even though you have an oven... :)

Edited by Ghengas

as for dual wielding a sword and a dagger, that just doesnt seem very practical...
Sword and dagger has been a very common weapon combination in RL.