Eternal Lands Official Forums
Beaverhunter

Patch: #knowledge tells you amount of read books

Well I actually posted this patch at Berlios some time ago now and I expected such a small but useful patch to get right in there even before the client update but well, it didn't so I guess I should post here like we are suppose to do to check what other thinks about it.

What does it do?:

When you write #knowledge with this patch applied you also get info in the format:

"You have read *** out of ***"

Why?:

I have seen many people asking each other how many books they have read and they just cannot answer more than a mere approximation or a comment similar to "Well it takes shorter time to count the unread ones...".

Possible Issue:

This patch relies on the data given by the knowledge.lst and if this is not updated it can of course give a somewhat not completely true picture of how many books there really are read and in total... but that can _hardly_ be seen as a problem in my opinion as same issue goes for the command #knowledge itself.

Patch:

http://developer.berlios.de/patch/?func=de...p;group_id=1256

Possible Improvment:

I'm considering updating the patch to be on the format:

"You have read *** out of *** books."

But that could be done by the one who applies it aswell I guess (IF someone does apply it that is).

Also maybe the char array could be slimmed down alittle if we want to be a few bits slimmer on memory usage.

What does it do?:

When you write #knowledge with this patch applied you also get info in the format:

"You have read *** out of ***"

As I did the original "#know" patch I thought I'd have a look at this modification; it works as advertised. When you list a subset of books, e.g. "#know iron", the total is just for the books listed but that's fine I guess. If you are really only interested in knowing the total number of books read, not just the subset, here's a suggestion. The total information might more usefully and conveniently be displayed in the original knowledge tab of the statistics window rather than with this command. Just a thought. As an aside, I'd personally not rather know how many book I have yet to read :medieval:

Thnx for your input on this, I didn't consider the actual filter so much, so I guess that's a thing too but if you filter with #know iron then you will get how many iron books you read out of total iron books right? That would be exactly what I would want and expect from such a command=)

Ooh, and yeah I was planning to add this info to the actual Knowledge Tab GUI, but that would require abit more and deeper look from my side into the code, but the principle is the same, to get info about how many books you have read and the total books. I could probably pull that off though.

The problem I see with having it in the GUI though is that I would have to come up with a good way to update and check through the books read and not read, it wouldn't be good to do this too often as it would probably make memory go crazy and well, maybe CPU load?

Maybe if your really serious about that last part I could add an option for it:P But that would be alittle overkill in my opinion, I'm sure you could live with that?=)

Edited by Beaverhunter

It would only need to update whenever a new book finished, which you can filter incoming text for.

Filter incoming text? Do the same work twice, for what?

Client already handles knowledge sucessfully, you can use knowledge_list to count everything you need :evilgrin:

Hmm I guess it shouldn't be too hard to call for a countandupdate() function at reading done, aswell as on client load to initialize it.

There is allready a place where the knowledge tab gets updated since the book you read gets highlighted right after you have finished reading a book. I guess that's where the recount should happen?

Btw if it's day of the print, do you get same message for instant read as you do the hard way?