Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Underworld not only unnecessary, but also extremely annoying

There is a problem with making the underworld more difficult.

I spend a lot of time watching newbies. Like on the newbie island, or in underworld. A lot of them can't find the exit, or if they do they can't putt eh mouse over the archway and click...

Altho i'd love to have a game full of intelligent people, that would mean we'd have only like 30 users online. We have to make it simple enough so stupid people can play too...

Even for the newbies it is only hard the first time they die. After that, they know the exit. I think the underworld could be made in such a way that it is equally difficult for all. No matter how many times you die. If you needed to speak with a ghost/wraith/thingy instead of finding the cave in order to get out, it would be more equally difficult. You still have to find the exit. It's just that the exit moves around so the second time you die you have to search again, and the third time, and the fourth time, and...

If that is too difficult, you could add 2 ghost/wraith/thingies instead of one. Double the chance of finding it :P

But perhaps you can explain why you put in an underworld in the first place. To delay players so that they cannot get their items back in time? Just to scare them? Because it looks cool? Because you don't want an auto spawn for dead guys in Isla Prima? If I know why it is there, I can probabely come up with much better ways of making in interesting for older players while still being balanced and fun to do.

New features can still be added.

Actually i was thinking more of the time entropy has to put in to implement the checks.

And of course i'd make a copy of a map and work on that instead of on the original.

I like sanders idea (once again). But this is my extended version:

In the underworld there will be some creatures that you have to kill in order to regain a life yourself. These creatures roam about in the underworld, just as all creatures do in the world od the living. Except they have such low stats that everyone will kill them in one hit, because nobody will have health down there.

If you killed the creature, you get your flag set to 1 and can leave the underworld through the exit. (then your flag will be set to 0)

Hmmm...sounds sort of fun. Kill a demon, and regain life :P

But it should be as easy for a newbie as it is for prometheus or krull. Or maybe make it karma-dependent (yeah, yeah, i know, once it's implemented :) )