Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
senkrad

Shadows affecting combat

Firstly CONGRATULATIONS to Entropy and team for progressing so fast with the ranged weapons.

As was mentioned in the post where I saw that bit of info Entropy mentioned that Perception was being considered as a determining factor for ranged combat as well as that ranged combat having effects from darkened areas.

I suggest that light level effect all combat and that Perception would effect how this is dealt with as is already being looked at for ranged weapons. Night combat would not workout the same as day combat as it is harder to see. I am hoping this will not be too resource intensive for the sever or the Devs. I hope this was already in mind.

Also, have a perk maybe Creature of the Night(or Night Stalker maybe), cost 5pp 50kgc reverses the effect of light, so for those who take it night is day and day is night.

Another likely more difficult to do would be Blind as a Bat, -3pp 50kgc, player no longer sees in colour and cannot see normaly they have a light pulse emmanate from them that show the surroundings to them. Like a water ripple effect of the F9 fire, which of course only they see and it only lights up the area as it passes by but not the area behind where the light hits. An automatic pulse every minute and a pulse each time they do or say something, ie walking or clink of tools on mine wall. But with this they get no perception penalties in combat, including ranged combat, for light levels.

I expect the second would be difficult and it might cause severe server lag, but then again I could be wrong about that. This would be a unique and amazing gaming experience to my knowledge. And would introduce some things such as ambushes where your name does not give you away before you jump out from behind the tree.

blind as a bat? rofl I'm already colorblind that would seemingly help me :(

I don't think it would be a good perk though, sounds like too many headaches and complaints coming from it.

As for the shadowing, I could see that maybe having a 3 point accuracy effect, gain or loss, maybe even fighting while staring at a light could affect it.

Creature of the night sounds more like it should be like you aren't penalized for being under certain conditions for lighting

This could lead to light sources in play maybe, ditch a shield or weapon for a torch, lamp, ect.

Interesting idea.

The questions are:

Is it doable? (mean time/efficiency)

Are there really so great differences in the shadows atm? (lots of maps editing, adding light sources, which may of course slowdown the gameplay)

Torches are very nice, you have my support, but they have been suggested many times, and it's only eye-candy (which would of course rapidly change, if the light/shadow system is implemented)

Perks are good, although not sure about the colorblindness, maybe dimmed colors in the certain distance around character?

But as I said before, it is in general an interesting idea.