Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Keknehv

Invisibility

Is this a good idea?  

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

This would come in two forms, a cape and a ring.

Invisibility cape

--Dropped from medium level monsters (gargs?), chance 1/250

--Sky blue and white, white either diffusing (cape goes from white to blue), or stripes

Basically, the cape would phase into invisibility mode for 15 seconds, come out of it and then wait for 15 seconds, and go back into it. It would cycle. You can not use another invisibility item (ring or cape) for 15 seconds after you take off your cape.

Invisibility Ring

--PL magic shop, 5 platinum

--Same color scheme

Invisibility for 20 seconds, then you have to wait another 20 seconds before you can use another ring. You can't put on the cape until the 20 seconds is over.

Invisibility Mode.

When it starts, a timer would appear on the screen (maybe to the left of the clock, with the ability to time up to 30 seconds?) and starts decreasing. The timer would then count out the wait period. This timer would remain until 1 minute after you don't use any invisibility stuff.

On your screen, you would go transparent. To other people, you would disappear (and no tell-tale refraction at the edges :roll: ). Other people have no way to sense you (except ***maybe*** a magic spell...), and if they moved their cursor over your current position, it wouldn't change.

While you are invisible, you CAN'T do teleport to range. (that would be unfair... this way it lets people at least form a body wall to block off something). You can attack people, but as soon as you attack you become visible, and the 15 or 20 second timer starts again.

Tell me what you think...

It sounds quite good, though I don't like the idea of the cape cycling invisibility, maybe because it's illogical IMHO, I don't know. Perhaps 'cause invisibility capes have always made you invisible while you had them on, in every single fantasy book/movie/game that I've seen, so instead of a cape I'd suggest another powerful item that would just have MORE charges and let you be invisible for a longer amount of time, like this:

Amulet of Shady Eye (wouldn't that be a cool name? *g*)

- Charges: 100

- Duration of invisibility per charge: 1 minute

- Dropped from medium level monsters (gargs?), chance 1/250 (this could stay the same as you Keknehv suggested it)

Other than that I like the idea, though I also like Kami's idea of phasing, which is more unique than invisibility, perhaps those both suggestions can be tweaked a bit to exist at the same time?

Kami's ---> Phasing <---

sigils: change, matter, spirit, energy, magic 

Reagents: 3 Magic, 5 Energy, 2 Spirit 

Level req: ??? 

Magic exp given: ??? 

Etherial points: ??? 

It'l phase you out of the world temporarily. In a phased state, you can't touch anything, which means you can't attack or be attacked as well as not being able to Harvest or pick up dropped items either. All you can do walk walk around for a while. 

Perhaps it can be made so that after the phasing state is over you don't appear at the spot on the map where you where standing, but instead get teleported to the The Portals Room - this way the "phasing" spell won't be used (abused) as an advanced invisibility spell. You could easily explain it: while you are "phased" your spiritual essence gathers in the Portals Room or the ether (having a strong connection to the P-Room) - whatever - and you only keep up a weak link to the world by concentrating your spiritual energy on a given spot in the world (map) in your body's shape. When your spiritual energy draws to 0 you lose this link and appear in the Portals Room in your normal human-form.

How it could work:

Nr.1 - The phasing itself may last forever untill you dispel it yourself, so you can watch those events but no way participate in them - you may want to watch an event for 10 minutes perhaps, this way you could without the risk to die.

Nr.2 - The phasing spell withdraws your spiritual points faster than you gain them (I don't know the rate), so as long as you can restore your spiritual points with potions you can stay "phased", otherwise you'll get teleported to the The Portals Room. Of course you can also dispel it yourself - which would drain all of your remaining spiritual points (but won't require any special amount - your SP will just draw to 0).

Personally I like the last one better. (thus version Nr.2)

The cycling was just to make it more fair for PKing... so that whoever has SOME chance of killing the invisible person...

And I WAS thinking of a magic spell...

sounds interesting..

but what about the healthbar and the name above your head when you are invisible. they will see the bar so the spell would be useless :P

How about this:

A spell just to hide your identity from other players. This way, you'll attack PKers at your own risk! Afterall, who doesn't make sure just who they are attacking before hand?

Anyway, personally I never have agreed with Invisibility in games. Trust me, I do like the ability. I've played Many Games with this Skill/Spell/Ability and believe me, It's so Bloody Great! In each of these games, the first thing I do is to gain Invisibility because once you gain that ability, you gain such an advantage that you hardly need to try anymore. It's also this reason that I think it's a lot more fair and a lot more fun Not to implement this ability.

I was actually thinking of also having this as a magic spell...

This isn't like all the invisibilities in other games... it cycles to give other players a chance. Maybe we should make it rarer, e.g., the cape is a 1/2500 chance, and the ring costs 15k...

I like your idea about hiding your identity...maybe it turns your character completely black on the screen... this (I think) would be rather simple, just make all the textures black...

The cycling was just to make it more fair for PKing... so that whoever has SOME chance of killing the invisible person...

And I WAS thinking of a magic spell...

...sounds difficult to me...how about just adding an item that will allow you to see the invisible people...(if its RS sorry...lol...dont know RS THANK GOD! lol)

first of all the game is C not C++. and yes, there is a huge difference. 2nd, the sever code which this would need to be done on is not open source like the client is.