Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheComet

Crowd noise

Guest baneazaghal

I think that OGG/Vorbis might be a better choice - better quality can be achieved with less space. Besides, it's a Free format ;)

We won't be using MP3 because of the licensing issues. Currently the sound effects are saved as Wav, but if we're going to have a lot of them, it may be worth looking at Ogg/Vorbis (or even FLAC). For now I'd suggest you just use Wav and you (or someone else, if need be) can convert later.

We won't be using MP3 because of the licensing issues. Currently the sound effects are saved as Wav, but if we're going to have a lot of them, it may be worth looking at Ogg/Vorbis (or even FLAC). For now I'd suggest you just use Wav and you (or someone else, if need be) can convert later.

I'm surprised that MP3 files are liscensed....hope I don't have to worry about that if/when I get a record deal X_X

may be awhile before I get alot of the sounds done, probably will be going one at a time or in small batches, it's difficult to either find royalty-free base sounds or to physically make your own or generate them, but I'll see what can be done. Summer's here, and my luck with getting a job remains the same *unemployed...AGAIN*, so I have some spare time

The MP3 file format is patented, and may become public use in 2011 (or it may not), until then you are legally required to have a license to encode MP3 files (and possibly to distribute software/hardware that decodes it). I'm not sure of the exact details, but it's lower quality than ogg/vorbis as well as being licensed. And we already have code to use ogg/vorbis to boot.

I suggest you talk to Roja about all this; either before you do much work, or not far into it (if you have a few samples that show the quality, that may help. But Roja may want a different style or whatever, and you don't want to waste a lot of time).

It would probably be a good idea to talk to Torg, as well, since he was going to work on the code for more sound effect support and all. Until that's finished and tested we won't have much need for more sound files.

As of the last I saw, the next client update is planned to be around Oct., so there isn't a real rush to get the sound files ready ;)

ed: For more info on MP3 licensing, see Wikipedia

Edited by ttlanhil