Eternal Lands Official Forums
Draym

Problems with music still going in v1.3.2

It's been a while since the update, and I'm still experiencing problems with music and sound in the game. Randomly, when changing maps or music zones, the music dies, and if there's a sound effect like rain, it can get stuck there (for example I go from whitestone raining to nordcarn not raining, and I still hear the rain). However, if I disable sound and music I get the "Error initializing sound: Invalid Operation" error, then if I enable both again they work, until they randomly die again.

Ain't there anything that can be done? I know it's nothing determinant, but it's annoying as hell.

It's been a while since the update, and I'm still experiencing problems with music and sound in the game. Randomly, when changing maps or music zones, the music dies, and if there's a sound effect like rain, it can get stuck there (for example I go from whitestone raining to nordcarn not raining, and I still hear the rain). However, if I disable sound and music I get the "Error initializing sound: Invalid Operation" error, then if I enable both again they work, until they randomly die again.

Ain't there anything that can be done? I know it's nothing determinant, but it's annoying as hell.

Hmmm.... This sounds very similar to a OS X sound/music bug that I fixed a bit ago. I wonder if it is related. I also made a patch for music which fixed the problem you mention on macs (but I never applied it to CVS and only use it in my mac client). Maybe Windows and Linux devs need to look into this. What OS are you using?

I am using Kubuntu Linux and have same problem.

I use WinXP... home edition if it matters at all ;)

Do either of you know how to compile from CVS? I do have a Suse linux system that I can test my "fix" on, but I cannot compile for Windows yet. Let me do some Linux tests (may take a few days since I am busy at work).

Do either of you know how to compile from CVS?

Not me... I just did some C programming on my first university year and I cheated on the final exam LOL ;)

I cannot compile for Windows
I don't really have the time or inclination to do a lot of development at the moment, but I can compile clients for windows for people to test... if not, you could see how much work it'd be to use something like mingw32 on *nix to cross-compile (I dunno how hard it is, just that it used to be done, by zeplin)