Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnTheWarder

The gym!

Why should a character have to fight to get strong, when they can just go to the gym! Go to a gym to raise a/d/p/c , you might have to pay or exchange items or something in order to workout. Why not? I mean you came from outer space so why not have a Gym! (Hint: Could also be a good place to add Mini-games.)

This maybe my best/worst idea ever for this game! :P:mace:

it won't work. besides if you don't want to fight, what you want your a/d for?

want to become good at fighting? get your ass out there to a monster spawn and start training, or get to pvp with a friend around your stats and start training. annoyance about spawn ownership, people attacking you in pvp, restocking your HE/srs... is something you have to live with. nothing is given for granted, and it's supposed to be the fun of the game as well. so if you don't agree with that all, pick any other skill or quit the game

just my 2 cents

Edited by Draym

I was hoping someone should say this, then there should be no items or books or attributes just plain a/d.

Why does that follow from what he said?

I don't like the idea because you are buying stats.

exchange items or something in order to workout

That would mean richer players, or those who buy from el shop have a huge andvantage over others. Why not just say "Why not be able to buy stats". Thats what your whole idea comes to for me.

I was hoping someone should say this, then there should be no items or books or attributes just plain a/d.

Because he is saying that it would take away from the fun of the game, well if you say that then all variables in the game take away the fun. The biggest beef I have with this game is that all these "pro players" think that nothing should change, they are afraid of not being the top anymore. Like one admin said, dont quit the game because of change, and I would say that all these "pro players" have that mentality that just because they started out and used the system longer it should be set in stone.

Because he is saying that it would take away from the fun of the game, well if you say that then all variables in the game take away the fun. The biggest beef I have with this game is that all these "pro players" think that nothing should change, they are afraid of not being the top anymore. Like one admin said, dont quit the game because of change, and I would say that all these "pro players" have that mentality that just because they started out and used the system longer it should be set in stone.

and we are constantly reminded that this is beta and IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE

ok, not a massive fan of the idea...but i cant help but think you made it to raise a point.

yes? well I think that what you want is "maximum profit, minimum effort". want to get high on your skills? then train hard like the rest has.

and yes, a/d matters, but p/c also, but p/c goes for pickpoints, so sepparate from the skills. it has been discussed before that both need some kind of balance to get maximum profit out of, but sure a high a/d helps, and your idea of "buying" a/d breaks the whole purpose of the training.

As pointed out above, A/D are combat skills improved through use. P/C are attributes improved through spending hard earned pickpoints. These are completely different aspects of your character.

There is a "schools" system in development (you may have noticed the new buildings appearing in recent updates), so there will be Fighting Schools which may be what you are looking for.

There will never be schools to improve attributes, since that is fundamentally not how the system works,

Edited by trollson

Because he is saying that it would take away from the fun of the game, well if you say that then all variables in the game take away the fun. The biggest beef I have with this game is that all these "pro players" think

Ah, I understand now. It DOESN't follow. You didn't suggest to add a variable. You just suggested that there should be a way to circumvent the entire current leveling system.

Your suggestion was equivalent to someone suggesting that there be a place where ingredients are no longer needed for alchemy and someone can sit there and get alchemy experience without the work.

It has nothing to do with pr0 players being conservative (I hold the same opinion.) It has to do with a suggestion that trivializes the game and the rewards for playing the game.

:angry:

There is nothing wrong with not having a gym, and frankly adding it in would not enhance play experience for the majority of players.

Come up with an idea that

A: doesn't involve a major system change

B: has a practical benefit that positively effects a large number of players without having a *serious* negative effect

and

C: Is not so overpowered or loaded with "extra features" that it's difficult to take serious.

As pointed out above, A/D are combat skills improved through use. P/C are attributes improved through spending hard earned pickpoints. These are completely different aspects of your character.

There is a "schools" system in development (you may have noticed the new buildings appearing in recent updates), so there will be Fighting Schools which may be what you are looking for.

There will never be schools to improve attributes, since that is fundamentally not how the system works,

What about the people who just get negative perks. Those aren't exactly "hard earned pps". :D

What about the people who just get negative perks. Those aren't exactly "hard earned pps". :D

Sure are. They just pay for them after the fact.

Not necessarily. Say someone who gets I can't dance and never goes pking. Thats not paying for it after the fact, that is never paying for it. :D

But still the fact is they "can" still get it to pay off. If you bought of vacum cleaner and you never us it, is that getting your moneys worth? Yet you can still use it, if you don't its your fault.

Not necessarily. Say someone who gets I can't dance and never goes pking. Thats not paying for it after the fact, that is never paying for it. :D

Of course they are paying for it. They are paying for it in the most extreme fashion. They are forgoing an entire portion of the game experience: multi-combat.

Because he is saying that it would take away from the fun of the game, well if you say that then all variables in the game take away the fun. The biggest beef I have with this game is that all these "pro players" think

Ah, I understand now. It DOESN't follow. You didn't suggest to add a variable. You just suggested that there should be a way to circumvent the entire current leveling system.

Your suggestion was equivalent to someone suggesting that there be a place where ingredients are no longer needed for alchemy and someone can sit there and get alchemy experience without the work.

It has nothing to do with pr0 players being conservative (I hold the same opinion.) It has to do with a suggestion that trivializes the game and the rewards for playing the game.

:D

There is nothing wrong with not having a gym, and frankly adding it in would not enhance play experience for the majority of players.

Come up with an idea that

A: doesn't involve a major system change

B: has a practical benefit that positively effects a large number of players without having a *serious* negative effect

and

C: Is not so overpowered or loaded with "extra features" that it's difficult to take serious.

*CLAPS!!* :D

100% agree. JohntheWarder what you were proposing was just like these "miracle" medicines, treatments and devices to lose weight without having to go on a diet and do exercise, and you expect you just have a pill and eat all you want and lay down all day long, and still lose weight (to put an example). If you want results, a reward, you have to work for it, and what Kalach said about being able to just sit and get experience without doing nothing is deffinitely true: what's the fun of the game if you would get exp just like that?

Leave your computer on, leave for all day, come back at night "oh! I raised 10 a/d levels and 20 oa!"... where's the fun on that? you get your rewards as you play the game.

Well unfortunately I really meant this as a far future development because It would require alot of animation and moving objects which I dont think is quite possible at this time. Iam really mad that people thought I was just suggesting that you can sit and do nothing to raise your levels. Quite the contrary, I meant a fun alternative like you play diffrent mini-games and tasks and stuff to raise your level. Which are very involved. Im Just Trying To Say That Doing The Same Thing Over and Over Gets Boring!

Well unfortunately I really meant this as a far future development because It would require alot of animation and moving objects which I dont think is quite possible at this time. Iam really mad that people thought I was just suggesting that you can sit and do nothing to raise your levels. Quite the contrary, I meant a fun alternative like you play diffrent mini-games and tasks and stuff to raise your level. Which are very involved. Im Just Trying To Say That Doing The Same Thing Over and Over Gets Boring!

As you train with monsters and pvp, you learn some basic tactics like correct usage of diss/tele rings, spells, equipment combinations... that will be decissive when you get to pk. it's not doing The Same Thing Over And Over (capz there), it's learning how to do what you're supposed to be doing in the future.

EDIT: Typo

Edited by Draym

*Clears Throat* I just want to play a smegging Mini Game! Everybody happy now? Im just saying that the skills and everything we have now are ok, I just want some flavor, some spice, I want to do something and say man thats cool I want to do it again. I want people to Discover that there is more to a game, something new to do something thats fun and makes you want more.

Edited by JohnTheWarder

Mini gaming on a gym in this kind of game should affect more the Pickpoints than it does a/d, and Pickpoints are too precious just to give them away at minigames. The idea is good, but just won't fit in.

Besides, I can suggest you more games or websites other than EL where you can find loads of minigames (go play any Final Fantasy if not).

It doesnt have to, How Many times do I have to kill that same rabbit? It may be a Goblin or Garg, but when you get to the bottom of it its the same as killing that rabbit the first day on IP. When I play this game sometimes I feel like when I get better in skills that it just the skins and values rasing and nothing else. I like this game alot and it has one of the best communties I have seen. I care about it and wish it well. Everybody on the development team is doing a great job, the reason i post here is because I just dont want them to forget anything along the way.

I see your point, but you know, killing that rabbit, goblin, garg, orc, w/e... is part of the a/d skill ways. The same way "how many times do I have to mix the same HEs, the same SRs, the same leather pants, the same rings..." skills get repetitive, but the reward and the fun are gotten when you got to have real use of them.

Do you think I like being in a pvp arena, or spawn for hours? no, I don't like it, but when I go out and kill someone I had targeted or hunt a new monster, I feel enlightened as all that effort was worth of it. I don't think there should be a "quick, easy" way, there isn't and there is no need for one.

And try to be more consequent with what your say. You subtitle this thread "why should your character have to fight?", so this means you got this as a way to circunvent the boring hours of a/d training.