Eternal Lands Official Forums

i looked and didnt find anything so ill just say it. Me and my brother we're thinking of having a spell called earthquake that dealth like 30-40 damage and maybe confused them for a sec so you could get away from a pker or something. it would require 4 earth essence and the sigils could be earh, destory, and energy tell me what you think ty ;)

such easy essence and easy sigil for a spell that does 30-40 damage?

Just make it require level 50 magic or so. That would make it a lot more rare.

An alterative view...

Rather than a high magic skill level, place a high magic nexus (~10) and mana cost on it.

Rational: The earthquake affected all within the radius (disrupted combats, dealt damage), the caster is invoking the raw power of nature in an uncontrolled form. Not necessarily a high magic skill (which would imply control), but a high magic nexus ("connection" to magical energies).

...we seem to forget we have nexus as well, which are very underutilised... :brooding:

If nexus levels had the same expected ranges as attributes, there would be lower overall attributes. At the moment the more difficult tasks require higher skill and higher nexus; decouple this and you get another dimension to the character developement.

Edited by trollson

An alterative view...

Rather than a high magic skill level, place a high magic nexus (~10) and mana cost on it.

Rational: The earthquake affected all within the radius (disrupted combats, dealt damage), the caster is invoking the raw power of nature in an uncontrolled form. Not necessarily a high magic skill (which would imply control), but a high magic nexus ("connection" to magical energies).

...we seem to forget we have nexus as well, which are very underutilised... :brooding:

If nexus levels had the same expected ranges as attributes, there would be lower overall attributes. At the moment the more difficult tasks require higher skill and higher nexus; decouple this and you get another dimension to the character developement.

only crafters could cast then :)

only crafters could cast then :brooding:

Thats only because magic nexus isn't currently used for magic. Always thought that was a bit weird...

only crafters could cast then :)

Thats only because magic nexus isn't currently used for magic. Always thought that was a bit weird...

Agreed, but I can imagine what storm of complains will come from pure fighters if they would need to spend their pickpoints to magic nexus :brooding:

Agreed, but I can imagine what storm of complains will come from pure fighters if they would need to spend their pickpoints to magic nexus :)

lol well we wouldn't want fighters compaining :brooding: Though if there was a major shake up, it would be easy enough to give a free reallocation of pick points. A bit of a queue at the Wraith though.

Agreed, but I can imagine what storm of complains will come from pure fighters if they would need to spend their pickpoints to magic nexus :)

lol well we wouldn't want fighters compaining :brooding: Though if there was a major shake up, it would be easy enough to give a free reallocation of pick points. A bit of a queue at the Wraith though.

but then some1 in like 120s oa gets like 170 phys on 10 oa :(

Agreed, but I can imagine what storm of complains will come from pure fighters if they would need to spend their pickpoints to magic nexus :(

lol well we wouldn't want fighters compaining :) Though if there was a major shake up, it would be easy enough to give a free reallocation of pick points. A bit of a queue at the Wraith though.

The mods/devs/admins would certainly love you :brooding:

The mods/devs/admins would certainly love you

Well, technically there shouldn't be a problem; characters can visit the Wraith for a one time reallocation -- pick points spent on attributes & nexuses are 'unspent'. Perks and the picks spent on them would remain. In fact, having a "reallocation flag" on characters would be useful management tool while in beta (if not after).

But this only applys if magic nexus requirements where retrofitted to existing spells (or some equivalent overhaul of the game system).

If we are introducing new spells which required a high nexus, then nothing is being taken away from existing characters.

Oh yeh -- back on the subject of the earthquake effects; all combat within range is stopped, all creatures and characters forced to sit down (fall down). Should be easy to have the client render the effect - shake screen for a couple of seconds (no new graphics or animation needed). Possibly more damage indoors (map=dungeon) than outside.

I didn't spot this reply above:

but then some1 in like 120s oa gets like 170 phys on 10 oa

Sorry, don't see how you get that. If they where at 120OA, they would still be at 120OA, but with 120 unspent pick points and zero attributes and nexus (assuming no perks). Sure, they could then spend all their picks on Phys, giving them 120 Phys and zero in all other attributes and nexus -- if that is what they want to do, its their choice. You could play a pure meat head with a club, and it can be fun!

Edited by trollson

I like the Idea of the high magic nexus, 10 would be good. It gives the average something, rather than just giving to the best. Also high level fighters would not want this, it would take away from their p/c. It give an opening to a different kind of player. Not only would we have the fighter, manufactuer, and summoner, but also the mage. I love the idea. :P

-Bart

Are you serious? 10 magic nexus? >< I only have 1.

Though I fully agree with more magic spells. I read somewhere that magic was getting a major overhaul...I hope so :0

I think magic nexus should be used for production of magic itens, not to cast magic itself.

And about how easy is this spell, maybe it should be like lvl 70 and require lots of energy and earth essences, like 50 of each.

But i dunno how hard is program the effects of such magic in a mmorpg.

Oh yeh -- back on the subject of the earthquake effects; all combat within range is stopped, all creatures and characters forced to sit down (fall down). Should be easy to have the client render the effect - shake screen for a couple of seconds (no new graphics or animation needed). Possibly more damage

Sorry, don't see how you get that. If they where at 120OA, they would still be at 120OA, but with 120 unspent pick points and zero attributes and nexus (assuming no perks). Sure, they could then spend all their picks on Phys, giving them 120 Phys and zero in all other attributes and nexus -- if that is what they want to do, its their choice. You could play a pure meat head with a club, and it can be fun!

u can get 46 pp from neg perk and 46 + 120 is 166 but my math was a bit off

Yes, complete serious; its just a matter of shifting expectations. If nexus values had the same expected range as attributes (which as I recall were originally intended to be in the 1-20 range), then there would be far more diversity in characters.

On dealing with a major shake-up in the system:

but then some1 in like 120s oa gets like 170 phys on 10 oa
u can get 46 pp from neg perk
Yes, quite. But what was your point? They could already choose to do this, and it would be a legitimate character. But "on 10OA" -- this wasn't the suggestion, they would still be 120OA; it would have to be a reallocation rather than a reset. So their next pickpoint could still be 5 million xp away (but there is always another pick point)...

lol well we wouldn't want fighters compaining :sneaky: Though if there was a major shake up, it would be easy enough to give a free reallocation of pick points. A bit of a queue at the Wraith though.

i wouldnt mind one of those :D

I think magic nexus should be used for production of magic itens, not to cast magic itself.

And about how easy is this spell, maybe it should be like lvl 70 and require lots of energy and earth essences, like 50 of each.

But i dunno how hard is program the effects of such magic in a mmorpg.

But thats just it, why give more to the people who are the best, making the magic nexus would be givibng to the middle el class which is good. That way not just the best fighters get better stuff.

Though I fully agree with more magic spells. I read somewhere that magic was getting a major overhaul...I hope so :0

Cant see the negative point. It makes sense that only pure mages can get to the most powerfull magic. If you choose multiclass, you cant be the mighty one in all the skills, in EL you can choose to develop all the skills, if you choose so, and so, spend pp's in al nexus, then you are limiting your power. If you want to be a pure warrior or a pure mage -not possible still- you then need to put all the pp's in the relevant stuff for that particular way that you choose.