Eternal Lands Official Forums
Orick

Stupidity at its finest

I need help with my Linux program, i cant get the game to loaded on my comp. it started with my power cord frying when i was playing the game, it turned my comp off and when i turned the comp back on the game icon was not there, i went to pull it up and it was gone. what do i do

Mmmm dude, you are not so informative... well, let's see.

First, kwowing some or all of these would -maybe- help a bit:

-Distro

-Desktop environment (usually kde or gnome)

-Did you install the game manually? via any package manager?

This does not help me ;)

but I can tell more now, I have reloaded the game onto my comp and have it under 'Eternal Land' on my 'home' file but the program will not run when I click on the 'el.x86_64.linux.bin' insted it comes up with an error saying unable to find, or something, i cant get it to say it again, when i was trying to get it to i clicked on the open with file brower and cant get it to open normal now. The second file (el.x86.linux.bin) starts to load the game but closes shortly after opening.

any ways to fix that?

Ok, if you installed it in your home directory, edit ~/.elc/el.ini

search for #data_dir, and make sure that it points to the correct directory.

Oh, and if you are trying to solve a problem, run the thing in a console, maybe that way we can see any error message.

The contents of ~/.elc/error_log.txt, might help a bit too ;)

k i typed "~/.elc/error_log.txt" in the terminal and it says "bash: /home/tyler/.elc/error_log.txt: Permission denied

then i typed "edit ~/.elc/el.ini" and is sayed:

Warning: unknown mime-type for "/home/tyler/.elc/el.ini" -- using "application/*"

Error: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type "application/*"

this is a copy and past of both:

tyler@martin:~$ ~/.elc/error_log.txt

bash: /home/tyler/.elc/error_log.txt: Permission denied

tyler@martin:~$ edit ~/.elc/el.ini

Warning: unknown mime-type for "/home/tyler/.elc/el.ini" -- using "application/*"

Error: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type "application/*"

you might need to know that i am a new linux user, my cuz put it on and set this all up for me. his name is Brom. but he cant help me at the moment or for about 2 years, and no he is not in jail

Edited by Orick

You might try the cat command:

cat ~/.elc/error_log.txt

or

cat ~/.elc/el.ini

to start with. Your error log may very well be more than one screenful - with cat it will roll off the screen so you might use less instead - less will let you scroll up and down through the file. For example:

less ~/.elc/error_log.txt

Just press the Q key when you are done viewing the file using the less program.

EDIT: I realised you are trying to exec the file, that will of course not work. Just do like puntif shows you above to see the contents of the file.

To edit it use nano -w ~/.elc/el.ini or vim ~/.elc/el.ini (just to name a couple of editors that might be installed).

Edited by m_bee

how will the "cat ~/.elc/error_log.txt" help? and i have no idea what i am doing so........ could you explain everything including how to run it in the terminal

thanks for the help :pirate:

ummmm.. that seems like Brom put it ok to work.

How do you run your EL client?

Do you just

cd <somewhere>

./el.x86.linux.bin

??

About the above commands, cat is a linux command used to see the contents of a plain text file. What I wanted to see is the value of data_dir in the el.ini file, and I also wanted to see the contents of the error_log.txt file. Is error_log.txt empy?

If not, please, post the contents here, it might help a bit.

Brom had it set up to run straight off of an icon on my desktop, but my comp cord fryed when i was playing and the game stoped working.

i reloaded the game and tryed to start the game with "./el.x86.linux.bin", and i also went straight into the file and dubble clicked on the 'el.x86.linux.bin' file. then the terminal it say:

tyler@martin:~$ ./el.x86.linux.bin

bash: ./el.x86.linux.bin: No such file or directory

when i went into the game file it started to load the game and shut down right after the screen tryed to load.

the "cat ~/.elc/error_log.txt" says a lot, but at the end it says:

Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

An error occured while reading the rules

The rules.xml file was not found. You will have to redownload your game.

is there anything elts in that command you need?

the "cat ~/.elc/el.ini" says that the #data_dir = "./" does this need to change?

Edited by Orick

Try this... save all your important files to external source.... Format your harddrive..... Install windows...download game and play away ;)

Apologies to all you linux freaks out there.... B)

i reloaded the game and tryed to start the game with "./el.x86.linux.bin", and i also went straight into the file and dubble clicked on the 'el.x86.linux.bin' file. then the terminal it say:

Ok, this suggests to me that you know which directory it was installed into. You need to put that directory name in as the data dir and hopefully it will find the files. Unfortunatly, if you have used a space in the directory name, that complicates things. It is best to rename the directory to have an _ rather than a space because Linux doesn't handle spaces very well.

Try this... save all your important files to external source.... Format your harddrive..... Install windows...download game and play away ;)

That might be the easy way out, but it's certainly not the best. Learning a new tool is sometimes frustrating, but it is handy in the long run. In addition to this, there are benefits from Linux being free. I know you were just mucking about with this comment... but its not helpful so I decided to make it at least a little helpful. :-P

Ok, this suggests to me that you know which directory it was installed into. You need to put that directory name in as the data dir and hopefully it will find the files. Unfortunatly, if you have used a space in the directory name, that complicates things. It is best to rename the directory to have an _ rather than a space because Linux doesn't handle spaces very well.

Linux handles spaces perfectly, no problem there, in fact, in linux you can have any character in a file name. It is bash -the shell- who interpretates some chars as special (it has to be that way, othewise we could not use spaces as param separator. To avoid bash interpreting an space as a separator instead of part of a command name or a param, just escape it, for example

cd Eternal\ Land

Otherwise, bash would be thinking that we are passing two commands to the command "cd".

;)

Well, I noticed this in the log you pm'ed me, I put it here, cause there might be people that can give a better suggestion:

Error: Can't open file "./textures/font.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "languages/en/knowledge.lst"
Error: Can't open file "languages/en/knowledge.lst"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/cursors.bmp"
Unable to read actor definition file ./home/tyler/Eternal lands/el.x86_64.linux.bin//actor_defs/actor_defs.xml
Error: Can't open file "./textures/gamebuttons.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/gamebuttons2.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/console.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/sigils.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./maps/legend.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./maps/seridia.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/paper1.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/book1.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/ground_detail.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/login_menu.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/login_back.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./home/tyler/Eternal lands/el.x86_64.linux.bin//key.ini"Error: Can't open file "quest.log"
Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com
An error occured while reading the rules
The rules.xml file was not found. You will have to redownload your game.

I would, first, use "nano -w ~/.elc/el.ini" or "vim ~/.elc/el.ini" to edit the el.ini file, locate de #data_dir line, and put on it the correct path to the game, that seems to be something like "/home/tyler/Eternal Lands", try to put it between quotes in that line " ... ", because of the space. If it does not work, remove the quotes and try.

If not, do like Torg said and remove the space (the one to blame here is the client, not linux B) ), do something like "cd ~; mv Eternal\ Lands eternal_lands", and then edit the file el.ini as described above, and change that line to point to /home/tyle/eternal-lands.

Edited by m_bee

Linux handles spaces perfectly, no problem there, in fact, in linux you can have any character in a file name. It is bash -the shell- who interpretates some chars as special (it has to be that way, othewise we could not use spaces as param separator. To avoid bash interpreting an space as a separator instead of part of a command name or a param, just escape it, for example

Well yes, of course Linux (and Unix) handle things correctly, its just that I assumed because he was already having troubles that I would try to help his plight by removing the space confusion.

Escaping the space is the correct method for dealing with it, but not having the space in the first place, makes things a little easier.

Aside from that, yeah its all good. :-P

k i put in it location and it is corect, but do i need to add "el.x86.linux.bin" at the end? this is what it looks like now:

#data_dir = "./home/tyler/eternallands"

when i try to lode up the game in the terminal it faild saying:

tyler@martin:~$ cd eternallands
tyler@martin:~/eternallands$ ./el.x86.linux.bin
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/console.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/errors.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/help.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/options.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/spells.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/stats.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/strings/titles.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "./home/tyler/eternallands//actor_defs/actor_defs.xml"
open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/Encyclopedia/index.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/rules.xml"

and I am never going back to Windows. ;) It eat my graphics card. and just about eat the rest of my comp.

Edited by Orick

Remove the dot in front of the path in the data_dir line. That dot is telling linux that that path is relative to teh place where you are, so, if you are in /home/tyler/eternallands, and run the game from there, it will search for the files in /home/tyler/eternallands//home/tyler/eternallands/, removing that dot should help a bit, try it :)

EDIT: So it'll look like

#data_dir = "/home/tyler/eternallands"

Edited by m_bee

k it says the same thing. took of the "." and it did the same thing as bofore

tyler@martin:~/eternallands$ ./el.x86.linux.bin
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/tyler/eternallands//actor_defs/actor_defs.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/Encyclopedia/index.xml"

?

k it says the same thing. took of the "." and it did the same thing as bofore

That looks like either you don't have permissions to the languages and actor_defs directory, or that you are missing them. Are you sure you downloaded and installed the full version of the client from the website, and not just a binary from the forums??

Ok, at this point, I would reinstall the game in that same directory.

I remember you saying that it was a power failure which started this mess. Maybe some of the files in the game dir got corrupted due to that. You should run fsck in the partition where /home resides (or your linux partition, if you only have one), then, reinstall the game in the same place, and try again.

fsck is a tool to check the integrity of a filesystem. when your power went down on a sudden, some files might have been corrupted or something (in this case the game files, if you had the game on when that happened).

You need to boot from a live cd, you need to know which is the partition where /home resides, (it must be something like /dev/hda1 or anything similar). And you need this partition not to be mounted (otherwise you could seriously harm the data into it). That is why I advice you to run fsck from a livecd, or a boot floppy if you dont know how to handle this well.

This is the first thing to do, since a defective fs will break your files again, sooner or later. Maybe the filesystem is ok, then just reinstall the game. Download the linux package and uncompress it over the old one.

i dont have the live cd, if you are refering to the cd that ubunto was loaded onto to load on my comp.

would it be easer to scrub my comp and start over reinstalling linux? if so how do i do that, i did not put this on my comp, Brom did, as i said earlyer. i have another comp i can use to read and post on the forum while we do this, if you can help me do that to. :)

thanks for the help so far, and sorry for the truble, you can ask Placid how much of a pain this comp is, him and Brom did a lot to fix things on it.

If not then how do i make a new live cd (my old one is in Colorado, and i am in Tennessee)

Edited by Orick

You can go to the ubuntu web page or whatever distro you preffer and download a live cd, and run fsck from there

No need to reinstall just for a simple thing like a fsck, you can think of it like the windows scandisk tool.

k i am on the ubunto webpage, it doesn't say anything about makeing a "live cd". can you check it out and c what i need to do for makeing a live cd to use for the fsck.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.