Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Illegal Opperation? ='(

Well, I downloaded EL fine, zipped, and extracted it fine too. But see, when I click on the icon (The .exe) it say "Performed an illegal opperation". I don't think it's my graphics card because we got a new one about 6 months ago. (though it could be o.o) Also, I can run the map editor fine, meaning I should be able to run it. (?)

Please respond ASAP,

~Mightywayne

I have the same problem.....ive disabled shadows in ELCONFIG, both cloud shadow and shadow....

im running windows98se..using radeon ati family 128 video card..256mb ram..

in the error log i get a

"Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/fontv.bmp"

and when i go to textures foldder i dont find fontv.bmp only font.bmp...

is this a programming error or is it that i am missing the file..

Date . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2/15/04

Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3:32:03PM

Product . . . . . . . . . . . Compaq PC

Machine ID

From System Board . . . . . 5C4

Processor . . . . . . . . . . AMD-K6 at 450 MHz

CPU ID . . . . . . . . . . . . 058C

System ROM

Revision . . . . . . . . . . 08/24/99

Video Controller ROM

Revision . . . . . . . . . . 1.06.52

Well, there they are, I think xx; I didn't really know how to get them, so I just guessed at where they might be, and viola. Anyway, I have the same prob as the kid up there, but I don't even HAVE an error log, because I never got it to start =O

Oh, and my ELconfig (the thing with the face and tongue) works fine, but even when I disable, enable, do anything possbile to it, it still just comes up an illegal error. And my el.cfg needs something to open with it, but not sure what it is, or if I do even need it.

I think everyone is getting the "Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/fontv.bmp" error, including myself.

@Mightywayne: use Aida32 - Enterprise System Information 3.90 (use the BTN-download link, it works for sure) to give us more info about your system components. e.g: look under "Display -> PCI / AGP Video" and tell us which 3D card you have.

Also what OS are you using? Windows98, 2000, XP?

To Kag: Thanks for the help

To Dor(forgot your names): Alright. I just got mine to start working, I downloaded the update, and it started working, but then it made the choices like...WAY slow. It litterally took 10 seconds to change my skin color, then more for my shirt, so I'll try downloading those drivers, thanks a lot ;)

To Kag: Thanks for the help

To Dor(forgot your names): Alright. I just got mine to start working, I downloaded the update, and it started working, but then it made the choices like...WAY slow. It litterally took 10 seconds to change my skin color, then more for my shirt, so I'll try downloading those drivers, thanks a lot ;)

Sorry, not Dor, Entropy.

Also, I'm currently downloading...(as if anyone cares)

I get this and then some...

At times when I am playing, I get done for performing an illegal operation and my whole computer freezes! Only the power button helps me get out of this one. Can you?

Wait a second, who is the one with the ATI-3D-card and Windows98SE now? MagpieLee?

Mightywayne: have you succeded in extracting and running the game?

Well, see, I have EXTRACTED the game, and I RAN it too, but after I made my dude, it said something about talking to syre or something to get off the island, then BAM. Comp freeze.

Erm. Well, After *obviously* downloading the wrong driver, I'm back at www.ati.com and I dunno what to get xx;

Currently, I think I'll get Directx because I might know what it is =O

@Mightywayne: ehh... have you installed this AIDA32-tool I gave you the link to? I don't recall you telling us wich graphic card you have, some other "Guest" who posted before you said he had an ATI-card....

so.. what 3D card do YOU have Mightywayne? (use AIDA32 to determine your hardware, your 3D card will be shown in "Display -> PCI / AGP Video")

Also tell me which OS (Win98, 2000, XP?) do YOU use :)

Listen, Kag, I'll try to download it tommorow. My little timer thing for AOL won't let me download it :oops:

But for the record, I'm running on a Windows 98, and just installed that Direct X thing. (Not that it HELPED, but...)

Aha... SIS.

First try this: run ELConfig.exe located within your EL-folder and disable the clouds shadows (uncheck the box)

Now try to run the game again, and see if it still crashes the same way.

If it still crashes, or you just want me to find the latest drivers for your 3D-card, I need a bit more info, so please do the following: go into AIDA32 again and create some HTML Reports for me.

I need reports from:

Motherboard --> Motherboard

Motherboard --> Chipset

Motherboard --> BIOS

Display --> Windows Video

Display --> GPU

To create a report right-click on the respective menu item and choose a "Quick Report" in HTML, after the record is generated you'll have the option to Save To File at the top. Give it a proper name and save it locally. Do this for each report I mentioned.

After you're done with all those reports put them into a *.zip file. I assume you have WinZip or WinRAR? If not, download one of those programs and use them to put those reports into an archive. Don't bother with any settings, a simple one will do. Then send this *.rar or *.zip file to my e-mail: "kasgoroth @ gmx.at" (without the spaces around @)

After disabling clouds, shadows, or just about any feature at all to the game that would slow it down the least bit:

You've got mail -.-

New update, I now have an error log:

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/fontv.bmp

Maybe that will help some.

Unfortunately it doesn't, but thx for telling. Any piece of information is important.

I looked through the reports you've send me and though you did everything right, AIDA itself has not helped a lot... after all it's a compaq computer... well anyway, to sum things up:

1. Have you downloaded current version [0.9.6] (about 21 MB) from

the Download Game - Link OR did you have old the full version [0.9.5] and just Updated the game by downloading and extracting UPDATE 0.9.6[1600 KB] ?

As far as I can tell from your posts you should have the full version? What's your main big (~20 MB) *.zip files is called? el_000_950.zip or el_000_96?

2. Look at the case of your computer, does it have any red letters on it, stating something like "Compaq Presario" or only "Compaq" with numbers next to it? If it does write them down and post them here.

3. You got to the Newbie Island right? Can you start the game again and at least get to the same point you were? Does the game crash always at the same point (or thing you do), or are this crashes random?

4. You have installed DirectX 9.0b, is that correct?

5. As I can tell from you reports the SiS 86C306 Video Adapter is a AGP-card, right? I need to be sure it's not an on-board graphic adapter, so is it a stand-alone card, can you confim?

Unfortunately it doesn't, but thx for telling. Any piece of information is important.

I looked through the reports you've send me and though you did everything right, AIDA itself has not helped a lot... after all it's a compaq computer... well anyway, to sum things up:

1. Have you downloaded current version [0.9.6] (about 21 MB) from

the Download Game - Link OR did you have old the full version [0.9.5] and just Updated the game by downloading and extracting UPDATE 0.9.6[1600 KB] ?

As far as I can tell from your posts you should have the full version? What's your main big (~20 MB) *.zip files is called? el_000_950.zip or el_000_96?

A: YES, I DOWNLOADED, THEN UPDATED.

2. Look at the case of your computer, does it have any red letters on it, stating something like "Compaq Presario" or only "Compaq" with numbers next to it? If it does write them down and post them here.

A: COMPAQ WITH RED LETTERS

3. You got to the Newbie Island right? Can you start the game again and at least get to the same point you were? Does the game crash always at the same point (or thing you do), or are this crashes random?

A: I MADE IT TO NEWBIE ISLAND ITSELF, BUT THEN BAM LIKE, A MILLION GRAPHICS WENT ON THE SCREEN, IT SAID SOMETHING ABOUT TALKING TO RAVEN, THEN MY MOUSE FROZE AS LIKE...THIS LITTLE GUY, AND SO DID MY COMPUTER. (Though, I still could MOVE the mouse, nothing was clickable, and would stay the little guy)

4. You have installed DirectX 9.0b, is that correct?

A: YUP

5. As I can tell from you reports the SiS 86C306 Video Adapter is a AGP-card, right? I need to be sure it's not an on-board graphic adapter, so is it a stand-alone card, can you confim?

A: I'M NOT SURE, BUT I BELIEVE WHEN WE PUT IT IN, I KEPT HEARING STAND ALONE, SO I'M NOT SURE. LET'S PRETEND IT'S STAND ALONE :-P

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this