Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sparhawk

Any ideas?

Any ideas of a place where one could start a boy starting his journeys from humble beginnings? Besides the old "He grew up on a farm" idea?

He started out in a rich society when kidnapped by a band of savage pirates. During a heated battle he was pushed overboard and found himself on a island far from civilization.

Grew up raised by a bunch of animals, then acted stupid for the rest of his life. I always wanted to see a half elephant half girrafe guy.... That would be awesome!

There are reasons the boy usually grows up on a farm.

There is a lot of routine on a farm, a huge amount of responsibility, and a decided lack of adventure. This is almost exactly opposite of most storybook heros.

Some of the most interesting heros, however, have either been the ones who were not honest, hardworking or much of anything good.

Pick the location because:

1) It provides a stereotype so you do not have to spend many boring pages in character development. (boy from the farm)

2) It enhances the character development by adding depth and dimension to a character you already have in mind.

3) It provides unique skills to the character that are needed to solve a problem.

4) It allows you to show how the character grows and develops during the story

5) It lets your audience identify with the character, and therefore care more about him. This can sometimes be the most important reason, but if you then kill off the character you will have some very annoyed people.

This about what you were looking for?

Thank you very much Dent, I had never realized why they were often placed there. Hmm, I think I will now follow farm starting theme anyway.