Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Torg

[patch] Transparency for images in the Encyc

Ok, finally got to the before and after shots.

Before:

encyc_before.png

After:

encyc_after.png

(Ps, these are hosted on Geocities so if there are any probs viewing them, I'm sorry.)

Oh, that's nice however there is a problem...some of the objects HAVE black in them, as a part of the item. That's why we didnt' do the transparency on them before :/

Oh, that's nice however there is a problem...some of the objects HAVE black in them, as a part of the item. That's why we didnt' do the transparency on them before :/

Yeah, I had considered that, but didn't go and check said items. Oh well. (g0t png anyone?)

you could set all the black backgrounds to a color that isn't in any images, and remove that instead, though that might be a bit too much of a pain

You do not need PNG to make alpha maps. I didnt' find it worth it to make alpha maps for the items however.

It's impossible to set them to a color that isn't in an image..as mostly every color is taken. And even if you specified one pixel value-I was told that there is a threshold for the colors picked up, so you wouldn't get just the 1 pixel but maybe a 10 pixel radius of that-now i'm sure that can be changed, but having to think not to use that one value would be a huge pain...making alpha maps is much easier.

You do not need PNG to make alpha maps. I didnt' find it worth it to make alpha maps for the items however.

Yeah, that's true... but I assume you are meaning 2 files, one normal, and one for the alpha map, and I think that's getting needlessly complex. A PNG has a transparency layer, and thus would handle things without the extra complexity.

It's impossible to set them to a color that isn't in an image..as mostly every color is taken. And even if you specified one pixel value-I was told that there is a threshold for the colors picked up, so you wouldn't get just the 1 pixel but maybe a 10 pixel radius of that-now i'm sure that can be changed, but having to think not to use that one value would be a huge pain...making alpha maps is much easier.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think I can set the alpha levels low enough to only pick up a single color, but that means you must remember to paint everything exactly. I did try this already and there are some interesting patches of not quite the same black that appear when you have it set too low, which would mean the images need to be tidied. That's alot of work. Oh well.