Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tanyia

Multi-ch guild chat

I was wondering if perhaps it would be possible or make sense to create a shortcut that allows you to talk to your guild channel when it's not the active channel without having to type @@guild or use windowed/tabbed chat. I was thinking of something like @@g.

My reasons are probably selfish (:D), and I don't know if other people have any desire for it either. I like to use either tabbed chat with "All" selected, or use the "Old behavior" chat, and for certain kinda obvious reasons, I prefer to have channel 1 as my active channel.

Just a late night, tired-finger thought ^_^

it'd be possible to do, but I don't know how much use it'd get. I'm often frustrated by the 3 channel limit, and there is #gm, so I suspect most guild channels aren't that well used... but I ust don't know

in the mean time, though, you can use ctrl+pageup/pagedn to cycle through channels, you can make 'guild' your active channel fast, then back to newbie then all... not sure if this will help much, but it might

I would love this as well, although I would like us to be able assign a channel number for this...we use a random channel number so we can have *invited only* guests on ours if we so desire...but it also is a very large number and very difficult to type @@whatever-the-number-is-because-it's-too-long-to-remember.

I also use the "old behavior" style chat, and do not always want my "guild" channel to be the active one.

Awesome idea Tanyia!

I'll add the option of `@@g ` to the patch on the channel tabs (linky) when I make it able to #jc/#lc name

there's no garuantees of if or when that'll get added to the official client, mind you

I'll add the option of `@@g ` to the patch on the channel tabs (linky) when I make it able to #jc/#lc name

there's no garuantees of if or when that'll get added to the official client, mind you

Is it possible to choose a number for it or can it only be done for the official pre-assigned guild channel?

And yeah...i know all about the if's and when's :D

Is it possible to choose a number for it or can it only be done for the official pre-assigned guild channel?

the patch loads names and numbers from a file, so you could just set channel 126373 (for example) with the name 'gc'... you can then @@gc and #jc gc ... mind you, the tab will also be called 'gc', and you need to tell other people to add it to their channel list file... but this is easy enough to do (using the official guild channel is harder since the client doesn't really know the number)

the list file is currently in plain text(though likely to be XML soon, but still editable text) and anyone can edit it in notepad or whatever else... it's strongly recommended that people don't change the channel names under 10 except for translation, but they're free to set up any additional channels

the patch loads names and numbers from a file, so you could just set channel 126373 (for example) with the name 'gc'... you can then @@gc and #jc gc ... mind you, the tab will also be called 'gc', and you need to tell other people to add it to their channel list file... but this is easy enough to do (using the official guild channel is harder since the client doesn't really know the number)

the list file is currently in plain text(though likely to be XML soon, but still editable text) and anyone can edit it in notepad or whatever else... it's strongly recommended that people don't change the channel names under 10 except for translation, but they're free to set up any additional channels

Good enough :)

it'd be possible to do, but I don't know how much use it'd get. I'm often frustrated by the 3 channel limit, and there is #gm, so I suspect most guild channels aren't that well used... but I ust don't know

in the mean time, though, you can use ctrl+pageup/pagedn to cycle through channels, you can make 'guild' your active channel fast, then back to newbie then all... not sure if this will help much, but it might

Our guild channel is constantly busy.. The #gm works great for us.. It's such a habit now, that I even do it accidentally trying to PM somebody instead of // to do it.. :)

And, typing #gm is still the same number of characters as @@g would be.. :icon4:

Our guild channel is constantly busy.. The #gm works great for us.. It's such a habit now, that I even do it accidentally trying to PM somebody instead of // to do it.. ;)

And, typing #gm is still the same number of characters as @@g would be.. ;)

The point was, a lot of guilds do NOT and do NOT WANT to use #gm for a variety of reasons.

I didn't end up adding the @@g shortcut, but for the unnofficial guild channel sorta thing you add it yourself anyway, so you can use as short a name as you like

And yeah...i know all about the if's and when's :P

well, Roja wants this in, so it shouldn't take too long before it's available :hug:

I didn't end up adding the @@g shortcut, but for the unnofficial guild channel sorta thing you add it yourself anyway, so you can use as short a name as you like

Bummer. -_-

Bummer. -_-

err... if it's not your official guild channel you want to use, it won't matter to you. just add a line to the file with the channel name 'g' and the number whatever (and a description if you want)

then you can #jc g, @@g hi!

Bummer. -_-

err... if it's not your official guild channel you want to use, it won't matter to you. just add a line to the file with the channel name 'g' and the number whatever (and a description if you want)

then you can #jc g, @@g hi!

Oh, so you added a shortcut, just not a predefined one?

erm.

#jc, #lc, and @@ will use names that the client knows. same as what's shown as the name of a tab

the client knows these names and numbers from a file that it loads. players are able to add more channels to this list if they like. so you can just add a line with whatever number, and some really short name (and a description if you so desire), and you can then (after reloading the client if it's running) use that name in #jc, #lc, @@

erm.

#jc, #lc, and @@ will use names that the client knows. same as what's shown as the name of a tab

the client knows these names and numbers from a file that it loads. players are able to add more channels to this list if they like. so you can just add a line with whatever number, and some really short name (and a description if you so desire), and you can then (after reloading the client if it's running) use that name in #jc, #lc, @@

Heh forgive me for being dense here, but this will only work in the tabbed chat then?

Heh forgive me for being dense here, but this will only work in the tabbed chat then?

nah, it'll work in windowed, tabbed, or old style. of course, you only get the names displayed if you have tabs/window, and you only get the funky tab-button to list all known channels when using tabs, but the rest is still likely to be useful for all people (it's just a bit harder to remember names when they're not on the screen, though, so the shortcuts might be less used)

nah, it'll work in windowed, tabbed, or old style. of course, you only get the names displayed if you have tabs/window, and you only get the funky tab-button to list all known channels when using tabs, but the rest is still likely to be useful for all people (it's just a bit harder to remember names when they're not on the screen, though, so the shortcuts might be less used)

Got it! I think :)

I don't care about the fancy names (i use old style) and if i really need that list i can always temporarily switch to tab...as long as i can "set it and forget it", should be fine for me.

Got it! I think :)

I don't care about the fancy names (i use old style) and if i really need that list i can always temporarily switch to tab...as long as i can "set it and forget it", should be fine for me.

sure, and you can go and edit the list if the names aren't logical to you, etc (there's the recommendation against people renaming channels under 10, of course, but if you prefer 'chat' over 'gen chat' then you can do that)