Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

request for review, patch 673

many will be aware of the bug where after your chat log fills up, there's a flicker under the last message as it scrolls up the screen(if you didn't kno the cause of the flicker, this is it. it's the oldest message in your buffer showing up for the last time. the higher your FPS, the less likely you are to notice it. limit your FPS to 1 and you're sure to see it :D ). the following patch fixes this, by removing the first 1/4 (easily adjustable) of the buffer and moving the rest down

for your viewing pleasure: patch 673

I suspect there may be memory leaks, though, I couldn't find a delete method for the text_message type, so I copied from the cleanup function. and I don't expect it to be thorough

there is also the test function in console, #flood_me, so that you can fill the buffer quickly.

using this with 200*15000 (the length of the buffer) messages took 33 seconds on my computer, but then EL will max out my lappy at 20 or so FPS.

this method is not that resource intensive, and we don't have to do it often

this method also deprecates the variable `buffer_full`, but that's not removed in this test patch. should the patch, or something like it, work, the variable can be removed