Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dimov

Ancient Secrets of Combat

I've had this in mind 4 a long time. This will be a sigil style system 4 fighting. Instead of a Sigil there will be an Ancient Secret of Combat. I think they should be gained by some non-god quests. Instead of spells you will make different animated moves during combat. I.E. 50 consecutive succesful hits for 1 dmg in 1 round , regardless of defence ( exemplary numbers) , which will be represented , by your sword wielding hand taking the shape of a tornado, exemplary secrets,

Name: Outburst Of Rage

Secrets: Rage , Wrath , Hatred , Speed

(and some required A/D average)

Another one could be similar to a diss ring and damage ring combined, you swat your opponent with your shield for 10-20 dmg (depending on shield , the heavier the shield the more damage , but the higher chance to fail), regardless of defence, and after cast you get the same effect of a diss ring.

Name: Warriors Cowardice

Secrets: Evade, Force, Fear, Hatred

(prolly the lowest A/D average)

Another one I can propose is the ability , to trip someone if he has under 20% of his health, and an animation of you splatering his head by jumping (or falling) on it, to finish him off.

Name: Brutality Of The Humane ( you DO put him out of him misery :hehe: )

Secrets: Brutality, Compassion(?), Force

(maybe the highest A/D average)

Pls sugg more or give feedback.

The animation side would put an awful lot of work onto the developers, which would probably be better spent elsewhere in the game (animated mining or alchemy :) )

However fighting styles could be interesting (mainly for P.vs.P), in a less-animated approach.

Your fighting styles could be divided into Attack and Defense postures.

• For each Attack there is an effective (neutralising) Defense.
  • For each Attack, one Defense is particularly vunerable.
  • For each Defense, one Attack is so ineffective as to be reversed.

So learn your Attacks and Defenses, to fill a dialog like the magic dialog.

Combine some number of Attacks and Defenses to form your current fighting style (how many you can do may be determined by other aspects).

When fighting, cancel out opposing Attack-Defense pairs, then determine the result from the remains.

You could have animals and monsters with fixed fighting styles (I choose "Way of the Rabbit"...). In which case, this method could replace the "Fighting Bunnies" books.

Well the point of my sugg is animated combat. I still prefer what i sugged.

EDIT: It should be an entirely new skill - Hatred , or Art of Hatred or something with Hate in it. We should also have gore.

Edited by Dimov

it's already rather difficult to use more than maybe 2 magic spells in fights - since it takes quite some time to arrange the sigils, cast the spells, switch the sigils and cast another spell.

That's why finally a magic quickbar will be featured in EL 1.0.2

So your suggestion would make the whole thing more complicated again.

BUT, it is a very interesting concept and I think with some modifications it could be very usefull.

One idea would be to be able to put this special-moves in the quickbar, just like spells or allow the charakter to "equip" up to two special moves, just like weapons (Maybe modify the inv window therefor). To initiate these moves you could either press a special button for each of them or over them as an option when you click on a target.

How about an attack that does severe damage to a type of monster but doesnt do Smeg against others. Ex goblin bane. does 30-45 damage to gobs and temporariely increases your a/d against gobs. There should also be books required for ancient secrets of combat to make it a little bit more challenging. :(

Heres 2 things....

• This sounds like WoW were you have to get training or a quest to get skill/ability

• Good idea! :icon13:

I like this idea a lot, it would make combat much more interesting than click monster, restore, get bag. Could add some strategy to fighting.