Eternal Lands Official Forums
Auduir

Game is slow

Hey i have another question. My game runs pretty slow and i am wondering if any body has any ideas on how to make it run faster. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanx!!!

There are a few things you can do, especially if it is your FPS that is low (this is displayed in the upper right corner of your client. If it's 0-5, that's really low).

-Click the last icon on the right at the bottom of your screen. Turn off shadows, reflections, and clouds.

-Update your video card drivers

If those don't help, you can try editing your el.ini file (turn on Poor Man, etc.). If you do this, BACK IT UP FIRST in case you make a mistake. Otherwise, your game might not run!

Edited by Tanyia

One more pieces of advice, and though it may be obvious...

If you are running any other programs (Internet browsers, word processors, other games, Instant messengers, etc.), try closing them and you may/may not get a performance boost. I would advise NOT closing any antivirus software you may have running. I had that problem a couple times, where other programs slowed down my EL.

One more thing: If turning off shadows, reflections, and clouds worked, you can make the change permanent by turning them off in the EL-Config in your Eternal Lands folder.

1. buy new RAM or

2. press ctrl+alt+del and turn off all processes you can, especially skin proggies and firewall or

3. get linux :}

Edited by (Athosino)

Wat is linux or wat ever?

181558[/snapback]

it's an operating system. windows is (no doubt) your current operating system

linux is far better in terms of cost and technical ability (ie crashes, uses your hardware better, etc) but is not yet as good as windows in terms of usability (it takes a while to learn to use it)

so ignore this suggestion for now. Linux may become a good choice after you've heard more about it, but it takes a while to learn to use

ps, to *nix zealots: don't argue the usability. the power of a *nix means it's more complicated. for some users this is a Good Thing, for some it isn't

it's an operating system. windows is (no doubt) your current operating system

linux is far better in terms of cost and technical ability (ie crashes, uses your hardware better, etc) but is not yet as good as windows in terms of usability (it takes a while to learn to use it)

so ignore this suggestion for now. Linux may become a good choice after you've heard more about it, but it takes a while to learn to use

ps, to *nix zealots: don't argue the usability. the power of a *nix means it's more complicated. for some users this is a Good Thing, for some it isn't

181562[/snapback]

lol yeah but my EL runs much faster, my doom3 does, too...should i continue? :>

lol yeah but my EL runs much faster, my doom3 does, too...should i continue? :>

181693[/snapback]

If you can tweak your Windows, Linux, Mac, etc., to run your games and such the fastest, more power to you. Literally. :)

The best thing you can do is to check that your video drivers are the latest. Also disable any progam running in the taskbar that is not doing any important thing while you are playing (dont disable firewalls and/or antivirus). Also take off shadows, clouds and reflections. Specially shadow and clouds if you have and old video card. Knowing a bit more around your video card and processor could help us also.

And now the offtopic part :lol:

I hate Windoze and is not my will to defend it. But... if you can (know) really how to tweak windoze then the difference in terms of speed is not so big (counting that the applications are equally designed for efficiency in both environments). That includes knowing the windows registry to every single key and knowing also some other "semi-hidden" tools that are shipped with windows (for example to control every single proc that loads on startup, that is possible as well in win as is in linux).

Of course, thats only in terms of speed. In terms of stability... well... Any more-secure system is also more stable, almost by definition. That is because not every part of the kernel and/or the OS can do anything it wants to. But still, and of course, the owner of the machine is also important, since no system is invulnerable to its users...

By far, I consider the conceptual design of any *nix system superior by far, but... The point here is as ttlanhil said: windows does not need any user intervention to do anything. The biggest problem you will have is to reboot if something fails and then try again. Still, for average users windows is easier. You can run into problems, of course but the nature of the problems is totally different.

Well, now I will contradict myself B) : I use only linux (and play a bit with freebsd) and never have problems with them (unless I want to :w00t: ). With windows I had problems (easy to solve ones, but I had). That is because now my machine does "just" what I want it to do. If you are not sure what your machine is supposed to do then stick to windows and just try not to load so many useless things. Specially, try not to install the million patches that m$ puts in the download zone of their site. Most updates are not needed and only introduce a bit more of system load.

If you can tweak your Windows, Linux, Mac, etc., to run your games and such the fastest, more power to you.  Literally. :P

181731[/snapback]

man still u need to know shitload reg keys and linux is still faster with only a few tweaking so :P

Yeah! In Linux you need to know /etc.

There is always a need for knowledge, and in Linux it is greater. The only difference is that we know it :) And we know also something about reg keys, wich windows users usually don't know (most of them, not all). But as I said before: not all the computer users need that knowledge. So it is ok to have a (expensive) easy alternative OS. I don't like it, but it is there and is usefull for tons of people, so...

But, anyway, you are right: it is faster :lol:

Ooooo - The Win/*nix debate - just waiting for someone to weigh in with their opinion that MacOS is best! (Not OS X but the real MacOS :P

Tbh I'm very familiar with Windows (part of my job is IT Admin) and have a passing familiarity with *nix and VMS. Both *nix and VMS are better I will freely admit - but Windows is so much easier to use without having to ever think about what's going on in the background that I use it both at home and work. That said my home network does run through a freeBSD router before hitting the 'net and another Linux box with a firewall on...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.