Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gecko_Master

The Dangers of microwaved food

Guest Gecko_Master

One afternoon, i dissided to make a hot pocket in the microwave. after half the recomended amout of time, I pull out the the hot pocket and it burns me, so i put it down and grab it with a paper towel it burns me. I bit it and and carry it with my teeth, it doesn't burn me. Who can explain this?

THIS IS A TRUE STORY!

...Because you waited a while to eat it, whereas you grabbed it instantly?

174547[/snapback]

That made no sense. That should have been "Because you should have waited a while to eat it"...

Gecko, maybe it said to microwave it on "medium" or "medium high" and you microwaved it on "high"? Or it was a reccomended time for a microwave with lower voltage than yours? (I think it's a reccomendation for a 1200 volt microwave.) Or possibly a combination of these? Or maybe you didn't do the hokey-pokey 3 and a half times with a spoon in your mouth while it was cooking? That might have done it.

The way a microwave cooks things is by agitating water, fat and sugar molecules. Any loose water, fat and sugar molecules will be heated first (stuff that is not frozen or not chemically bonded. So you get pockets of very high temperature water right next to frozen bits.

Then, as the rest thaws, the microwaves will start acting on it. That is why some instructions say nuke, let sit, nuke again. Or just nuke and let sit.

What you encountered, most likely, were steam pockets where the water and fat was boiled. When you bit into it, you were most likely holding only crust, which does not have much water, fat or sugar, and therefore not much heat.

How microwaves work

I love this site for explaining things. Simple language and common examples.

Guest Gecko_Master
Gecko, maybe it said to microwave it on "medium" or "medium high" and you microwaved it on "high"?

174552[/snapback]

The microwave was on "low". Does this mean anything? :(

BTW, with my microwave, it would have exploded if i et it on high. lol ;)

Edited by Gecko_Master

Was the reccomended time in minutes? And if so, did you put that number of hours for the time?

Guest Gecko_Master
Was the reccomended time in minutes? And if so, did you put that number of hours for the time?

174691[/snapback]

:lol: accualy, the recommended time, 2 minutes to get it hot, i tryed a month earlyer. I cut it open to have tons of steam and a bit of burning hot liquid cheese come out. With this hot pocket, i only did 1 minute, but didn't cut it open.

They don't have cuts in them already? All the Hot Pockets I've ever had did have stuff coming out after microwaving... Hrm, try putting a few small holes on the top.

Guest Gecko_Master
They don't have cuts in them already? All the Hot Pockets I've ever had did have stuff coming out after microwaving... Hrm, try putting a few small holes on the top.

175212[/snapback]

K, thanks, lol. this was pretty funny... :P