Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bakuron

Homing Device

hhhmmm....

What a stupid idea !

We still fight with swords (and not with modern weapons)

And now you want to have a radar..

How do you think to make 1 ?? (in the game)

Great idea, let's harvest some wires for the radar...

well, you can always have a spell that allows you to sence the presence of life around you

but I don't really wanna see this either

well, you can always have a spell that allows you to sence the presence of life around you

but I don't really wanna see this either

167734[/snapback]

thats exactly what i was thinking....like real hunters tracking animals....they use their senses and the animal tracks.

use your imagination "devil" a radar is the first interface i could think of for this game that would work, please think of something else.

just an idea guys....not trying to crucify your parents here :P

One bit of EL which does irritate me is the "Benny Hill" chases when trying to hunt animals (or larger game), which is basically down to:

1. Everything moves at the same rate.
  2. It is sometimes hard to click on the right part to initiate combat.
  3. Trying to attack something out of range doesn't make any attempt to move you closer.

So creatures frequently wander just out of sight (which isn't very far), never to be seen again.

However, whether a "radar" view for tracking is possible depends on whether the server sends information on the presence of distant creatures to the client. I would guess that only nearby creatures are sent (save bandwidth at least).

My thoughts where that a character could learn a tracking knowledge, which would increase the range at which they could initiate combat on animals (or higher creatures), based on perception attribute. This would still be limited to the current field of view though.

Great response.

constructive/intelligent/knowledgable and accepting of others opinions.

thankyou.

you clearly know better than i do about the matter so i leave it to you :)

A tracking skill has beed disused before but was never put into the game, i think i might make it to easy for people to find animals as they only spawn in small spots, if they spawns all over a map then this would work better

A tracking skill has beed disused before but was never put into the game, i think i might make it to easy for people to find animals...

167804[/snapback]

The tracking skill or ability I described does not aid in locating the animal, for the reasons given there. The character would still have to find it the hard way. The skill or ability just increases the range at which one could initiate an attack.

Maybe tracking is not the best term for it -- hunting, ambush, trapping?

The monsters that are aggressive have the same range to attack as normal players to my knowledge. If we increased the distance where you can "lock on" and "go after" a monster, then if you ever reach a aggressive map you will never get out the monsters will be after you. I understand this already happens with Trolls and Ogres in certain maps. Not exactly the best Idea to increase it. but I know what you mean with your trying to hunt down rabbits.

My advice is to Practice! when I first started killing rabbits was darn hard, moving the mouse to the right spot was difficult but it got easier! now I dont even worry about it.

As for tracking, you will learn where monsters spawn, its not that hard to track them down once you know that.

Edited by Brom

The tracking skill or ability I described does not aid in locating the animal, for the reasons given there. The character would still have to find it the hard way.  The skill or ability just increases the range at which one could initiate an attack.

Maybe tracking is not the best term for it -- hunting, ambush, trapping?

167811[/snapback]

The trouble with this particular part of the suggestion is that, once ranged weaponry (bows, throwing daggers, etc.) come in, the line sort of blurs. Is there a better alternative?

-Lyn-