Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ruln

Chat Bug

Hopefully this hasn't been reported before. I looked around a bit and saw no mention of it.

This bug has been around for awhile and I've just encountered it in the CVS version from 48 hours or so ago.

I'm running Linux, with at ATI Mobility 9600 and the latest drivers.

The bug generally shows up 12 to 36 hours or so after client start. text fills the screen in the normal view. The text appears to be older then the current text but scrolls when new text is entered. The console view remains fine.

When entering new text the text entry takes place near the bottom of the screen in the normal view and text appears near the top. Restarting the client solves the problem.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about...

http://timebox.turbolift.com/images/elbug.jpg

Hmmm...looks like somethings not checking if the buffer has wrapped. I'll look into it.

That would be my guess as well. It just happened again to me and I recognize the text as being from around 24-36 hours ago.

I used to get this bug frequently, and then it went away for a month or so. Just today with a fresh CVS checkout, it happened again. I had been AFK in console for three hours, went out of console and the bug occured. Then I tried to go back into console and it crashed, which hadn't happened before. It figures that the one time I don't compile with -ggdb, I would encounter a crash, lol.

Oh, sorry, forgot to post. I think I fixed it, at least I didn't have problems anymore. [Note: the code still assumes that there's enough buffer space to fill a whole screen, so if you're gonna try Wytter's trick to test it, please use DISPLAY_TEXT_BUFFER_SIZE=50 or something.]