Eternal Lands Official Forums
Galarandel

Linux?

it all depends on why they want linux... to learn about it, or just to have a better operating system, and don't want to care about all the niggly config... some people wouldn't be able to handle editing any config file that needs changing, they want wizards and gui tools to do it.

and after a number of the source packages i've downloaded and tried to compile, i'm strongly of the beleif that packages are a lot easier.

this may be just slackware because the official package list is so tiny, and there's little chance of troubles with only them, i don't know how much troubles using packages with something like debian (with all the thousands of packages from people all over th world) would mean

Well the packages that come with Slackware should be fine to use...i'm saying if you are installing something new it's better to do it manually wheather you like it or not (sometimes it isen't realy a big deal thou). In the long run, packages may cause more trouble than they are worth. Anyways how hard is it to type

./configure

make

make install (or if you have checkinstall...typing that...)

ok, so to install a packages I only have one command...

installpkg blablabla.tgz

rpm -whatever... package.rpm (I used rpm once...and i don't remember why..and I dont' remember how to use it... :-P).

or whatever other package system you may be using...

It realy isent' much more dificult...do it the safe way and compile it manually :-P Packages arn't all bad thou...especialy when you are lazy..but oh well..this is a pintless argument lol.

i've heard of some scary build setups, and i beleive that's why gnome is no longer in standard slackware... that sort of pull-your-hair-out compiling and dependancy is why packages are so much simpler

./configure

make

155367[/snapback]

make test (or check)

make install (or if you have checkinstall...typing that...)

155367[/snapback]

this is a pintless argument lol.

155367[/snapback]

You need alcohol to continue the argument?

Oh, and I got nothing to add to the linux discussion. Currently only a WinXP user, a "necessary evil". Maybe eventually, if I upgrade my comp, I'll work on a second one and see about experimenting with Linux.

sorry about that...sometimes I don't think when I type...and if i'm not I make stupid mistakes...the mistakes are usualy coming from myself and not typing errors thou...just a bad habbit.

Anyways, no alchol for me...don't drink and can't :-P and wont' ever :D