Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SirHenkka

Diary

Guest SirHenkka

Hello!

I think that a diary would do good for gameplaying. It would be a place, where important notes of your missions would go.

I'm all for a journal (or diary, if you prefer) of sorts to keep track of what's happened, as people who simply can't bring up the time to play all the time do tend to forget what they were working on. As a matter of fact, my friend and I were going to suggest a similar feature after it took us about an hour to remember what he was supposed to do, at which point he had to leave again.

I can imagine that the implementation would be difficult, however. This is even more true for existing players, which would have incomplete journals. Nonetheless, I strongly believe this is a feature which should be taken into consideration.

In a somewhat similar manner, I'd also like to suggest a simple in-game notepad feature where you can write down a few notes yourself, which is then stored on the server. This is also quite handy in several situations, and implementation should be a lot easier than the aforementioned journal.

Further ideas, suggestions?

That would all depend on how much data you'd allow the notepad to store, but yes, I can see your point, especially during times the player count steadily increases. The reason I suggested storing such a thing server-side is that you'll be unable to access your notepad when at another location (work, a friend, etc), which would partially defeat the entire idea of having it there in the first place for them.

No less, it would still be a nice feature to add, even if it would be on the client-side, as I'm sure a number of users will be able to take advantage of such a feature.

One optimization that might be done is to limit the amount of text that can be stored (2048 characters?) and to only send this information to the client once. The client could then keep track of the changes, until a user quits, which is when it'd send the updated information to the server.

I think it could be implemented, but it would probably require quite a bit of work -- if not on the server, then on the client side. I'm also aware that this wouldn't be handy if the client would crash out on the player. Although there are a few work-arounds for that;

One would be for the server to keep track of whether or not any notes have been added every 10 or so minutes, and then update to the server only when it has. This could be done with, for example, calculating a quick hash (CRC?) and only updating if this hash has changed.

Another would be for the client to store information immediately on the hard drive, and for both the client and the server to keep track of when the information was last modified. If the client logs in, and the notes on the server are older than those on the client, the client can update the server's notes.

Just a few thoughts and suggestions, and I'm sure there are more possible solutions to the problem presented. :)

lol want a notes so ya dont forget stuf on el ie coordinates for monster spawns ;) well grab a pen and some paper and write it down the old fassion way