Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Smile

Behind Proxy

Hello.

I decided to be behind a proxy, to make my network easier for the EMAIL.

But.

It won't connect through any computer on the network, and the only computer that has the proxy, and doesn't go through it is a win 95, I have 0 FPS on it. is there a way to let EL Through the proxy, or bypass it ?

Thanks.

What kind of proxy is this? POP3/IMAP? HTTP? SOCKS? Ore are you talking about a router/firewall maybe? If properly set up, neither of them should be a problem. Please give us further information.

Sincerely yours

Lachesis

Proxies don't make things easier, they always cause trouble.

EL does not support using proxies, but if it's a Microsoft Proxy Server or ISA, you may have luck using the Microsoft Proxy Client.

I hope you don't want to say that proxies are all evil :-)

Microsoft Proxy Server or ISA

ISA: Instruction Set Architecture, Induystrial Standard Architecture, ... what else? :P What does that "MS Proxy Server" do? Why is there no "Cross-Post + Follow-Up" in a forum? :( Lots of questions, I am sorry.

With regards

Lachesis

I hope you don't want to say that proxies are all evil :-)

Microsoft Proxy Server or ISA

ISA: Instruction Set Architecture, Induystrial Standard Architecture, ... what else? :) What does that "MS Proxy Server" do? Why is there no "Cross-Post + Follow-Up" in a forum? :D Lots of questions, I am sorry.

With regards

Lachesis

Proxies ARE evil.

And MS ISA is "Internet Security and Acceleration server".

Well our university saves a lot of money using a www proxy, and our students save a lot of time due to it ... anyway, this is off topic. Thank you for your information, let's find out what is wrong with Captain's "proxy". I guess ISA is rather a router+filter, maybe +NAT. However, I don't know much about Microsoft's networking products, so please tell me what kind of proxy you are talking about, Captain, and if it was ISA what ISA does do, Leeloo, so that I will be able to help you.

(Caching) web proxies are ok, as long as you can go around them when they screw up. Web pages are mostly static anyway. But trying to force something like EL through a proxy is pointless, there is nothing to cache anyway.

It's not the web proxies that are the problem, it's using a proxy instead of a NAT router or firewall that is evil. NAT works by default, as long as the protocol doesn't do something stupid like sending IP addresses inside the stream. Proxies by default don't work, and every program needs to support socks and be configured to use the proxy to work.

Windows can route without ISA, filtering is built in also. I'm not sure about NAT. From the descriptions I have read, MS ISA server is the old MS Proxy Server with a new name (and of course a ton of new features / bloat).

Well, one can make something like socks transparent :) I don't know if that MS stuff supports transparency, though. Anyway we are discussing without knowing whether our statements are relevant to the topic at all :D

Edited by Lachesis

Well still, I dont think that EL the proxy/firewall will mistake EL protocol for any of HTTP, POP, IMAP or SMTP. But maybe your firewall settings are to restricting and don't let you connect. Check if your host is allowed to send DNS requests (via UDP on port I am going to look up the number) and to connect to a host anywhere in the internet on port 2000 via TCP.

Does your firewall let you connect to port 2000 somewhere?

If you say, that only your win95 machine can't go through the proxy, then maybe win95 isn't able to be used in such a setup. Please remeber that it is close to 10 years old, and that at this time, TCP was still quite new to microsoft. They much better supported netbios than any other network protocol back in 1995. These are only assumptions, because I never used any win9x.

Only my Win95 machine is directly connected to Internet, the others pass through proxy (the Win95 is somekind of HUGE database, with firewall and proxy set there.)

<offtopic>A win95 proxy. :) Come on netpirates, breakfast for you :D</offtopic>

Try to upgrade to an up-to-date Windows version if you can afford it, or try another OS. Making Win95 you port to the internet is a very bad idea. When Win95 came up, Gates had just stated something like that his users won't ever need internet access at all <_< Would be nice if someone could post the quote :)

With regards

Lachesis

Only my Win95 machine is directly connected to Internet, the others pass through proxy (the Win95 is somekind of HUGE database, with firewall and proxy set there.)

<sarcasm>

Windows 95, can't even handle large files (>2GB) how should it be able to handle huge files (>4TB)? And like Lachesis already stated, windows 95 is not an os to use for a proxy or a firewall at all. Have you searched the knowledge base of microsoft? I think ms website could be of much more help here. Don't they offer a large support portfolio with their licenses :) Why don't you take care of all the advantages their products have?

</sarcasm>

Seriously, to me this sounds like the machine is heavily overloaded. Most databases (even more a HUGE database) consumes LOTS of memory and cpu resources, and a proxy is also an application that consumes quite some decent cpu resources. Do you serously think an OS that can't handle more than 2GB of memory will be able to seriously handle such a setup?

Sorry, but it seems to me more and more like you are trying to troll here.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this