Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enlia

Books

I almost forgot, the Myst series :)

Are those related to the games in any way?

There are some books based on the computer game - I have the hardback copies & they're very pretty. Don't know if there's another series that Aitrus is referring to tho'.

For what its worth, these ones are enjoyable, but not on my most favourite list B)

Yes it is the series based on the game,

:looks at his library and sighs:

I will stick with some of my favourites from my fiction section:

S. Brust - 'To Reign in Hell'

also any of his Vlad Taltos books for light reading.

Caleb Carr - 'The Alienist' & 'The Angel of Darkness'

C.S.Freidman - The Coldfire Trilogy

Others are also pretty good

Terry Pratchett - If you see this name on a book, it is a MUST buy. The guy is a scream to read.

Farley Mowatt - Great for teens and adults alike

Kurt Vonnegut - One of my all time favourites.

Anything that Baen publishes gets a look from me, though I don't buy everything.

Fancher has a good series out, but it is older.

Robin Hobb is an automatic buy for me

Milton - 'Paradise Lost'

William Burkett, J. Gregory Keys, Harry Harrison, C.J. Cherryh, Keith Laumer, Robert A. Heinlein, Orson Scott Card, and a stinkload of other authors are worth a look at, but I am not sorting through 2k books for more of my favs.

I have found a few authors to look for in this list, though, and I hope to have returned the favour.

See you all in game.

the belgariad,mallorean,elenium and tamuli by david eddings

the wheel of time series by robert jordan

dragonlance

some others i cant remember

:lol:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

yesss! Adam Douglas is a GOD! :(

all his b00ks r0ck!

Kurt Vonnegut

he's cool too, especially that Galapagos thingy =)

Also, The Alien years from Robert Silverberg (i like sci-fi), i loved it, was the first book in english that i read

Karl May and Jack London when i was a kid =)

Arthur C. Clarke, everything of his that i could get my hands on

Michael Chrichton

Connie Willis is nice too

Daniel Keyes, The flowers for Algernon or whats the title in english, that one is special =)

Edited by shasso

The future of spacetime, (of course) lord of teh rings, The light in the forest, farenheight 451(ack- can't spell it). are all good books, the future of spacetime is a good book, it explains several things without using math :(

books that ive read and hate:

the red badge of courage-long, boring, dull.

anything by shakespear

~~~~

on a side note:

WHOOT I CAN POST AGAIN

Am I the only person to find Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time really hard work? I managed to read the first book, but gave up part-way through the second. I just couldn't find any empathy with the characters.

Is it worth my trying them again - do the character's get more likeable as the books go on?

I'll read anything by Tom Clancy, I'm planning on reading every book with his name on it... a project I've started 2 years ago. :D

My friend, however, reads stuff like Age of Spiritual Machines, Blackcoats and Reds: Rational Facism and the Downfall of Communism, Animal Farm, 1984...

Terry Pratchett - If you see this name on a book, it is a MUST buy. The guy is a scream to read.

Yep. He's one of my favourite authors. I like whole Discworld series (although his first books are little bit better than newest) and GOOD OMEN by Pratchet and some other guy - this book is soooooo funny.

I also like:

Andrzej (Andrew) Sapkowski - my favourite polish author. i hope there are english translations of at least some of his books (fantasy)

Stanisław Lem - great polish sf writer

Tom Clancy's books (political fiction ? :D )

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien

John Grisham

Thrawn's Trilogy by Timothy Zahn - it's (best or one of the best) part of Star Wars series

Arthur C. Clarke

Isaac Asimov (haven't read his books for ages, but i remember they were good)

Chronicles of Narnia

Joanna (Joan) Chmielewska - criminals with large doze of humour. unfortunately she writes in polish

I'm reading 1984 by George Orwell atm and i like it.

I will try to get my hands on tit axe construction book soon

Terry Pratchett - If you see this name on a book, it is a MUST buy.  The guy is a scream to read.

Yep. He's one of my favourite authors. I like whole Discworld series (although his first books are little bit better than newest) and GOOD OMEN by Pratchet and some other guy - this book is soooooo funny.

The "other guy" is Neil Gaiman. He writes comics as well as novels - he did the Sandman series of comics.

I'd agree with the comments about Pratchett - the earlier novels are better. Good Omens is well worth the read.

i could only read one terry pratchett book.. it was big and soft cover and it was illustrated, it was like "The FIrst hero" or something

i could only read one terry pratchett book.. it was big and soft cover and it was illustrated, it was like "The FIrst hero" or something

The Last Hero

Very well done I thought.

As for Good Omens, I very nearly hurt myself laughing at it. The bikers were just too funny.

As I read in coffe shops, on buses and other public places, I am forever getting weird looks as I break out into uncontrolled laughter when reading certain books.

Neil Gaiman also wrote a book called American Gods, which can be a bit tough to follow, but if you are up on your mythology and religions, is a very good read.