Eternal Lands Official Forums
cobaltraven

EL Crashes on Character Creation Screen

Hi. I'm having a problem with EL kicking me out of the game. Initially, it froze after I clicked on the Character Creation button, but I updated my video drivers after reading the forums (which I didn't wanna do - I'm essentially lazy). That solved the problem. I have an old video card, and not a lot of memory. I threw my machine together so it's a mixture of old and new.

But I'm still not home-free. Now, when I click on the CC button, EL loads everything and I get as far as the next screen (brown background with three icons on the bottom left) and then the game shuts down and kicks me out after 10 seconds or so. I tried resetting FPS to 40 which changed nothing, and I have clouds, shadows, particles, etc. at 0. In the chat_log.txt the last thing it says is: "To customize your character and select name/password, press the buttons at the bottom.", but this message isn't reflected on the screen where I get booted. I also had to copy/paste into commands.1st to solve an error.

I really want to play, so please help! Is my video card too old? I've included the chat_log.txt file as it contains a lot more information.

Thanks in advance,

Cobalt Raven

PS: If it's the video card, I'm in the market anyway, could someone suggest a good (cheaper) ATI radeon that works well with games? I generally buy a few years out of date, it would still be light years ahead of the one I'm using now.

System: Intel Celeron 1200mhz, 1.20 GHz, 192MB RAM

Video: ATI 3D RagePro (AGP 2x, 8 meg)

Drivers: 02/28/02, ver 5.10.2600.6010 (updated today, release ver J5-30.1-B02)

HD: 80 gig, partitioned 10/70; EL on 2nd partition, 10 gig free

EL Ver: ver 1.3.2 Beta

Internet: DSL, 997.2 kb/second

error_log.txt:

Log started at 2006-10-14 16:48:19 localtime (Eastern Standard Time)

[16:48:22] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[16:48:22] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates132/files.lst from

www.eternal-lands.com

chat_log.txt:

Log started at 2006-10-14 16:48:10 localtime (Eastern Standard Time)

[16:48:10] Couldn't find the GL_ARB_multitexture extension, giving up clouds shadows, and

texture detail...

[16:48:10] GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension found, using it.

[16:48:10] Couldn't find the GL_*_point_sprite extension, not using it...

[16:48:10] Couldn't find the GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension, not using it...

[16:48:10] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension, not using it...

[16:48:10] Couldn't find the OpenGL Shading Language extension, not using it...

[16:48:44] Connecting to Server...

[16:48:45] Hi, and welcome to Eternal Lands! If you're new to the game and need help, please

read the newbie helper guides on the main website. If you would rather learn by doing, talk to

the Tutorial NPC, which is at the start point. In addition to that, you can type #help_me and

your question to get a live response if there are helpers online. Click on the screen to

continue!

Welcome to the new server!

[16:49:28] To customize your character and select name/password, press the buttons at the

bottom.

As you can see; the latest drivers for your card is from 2002 ( = old) and you seem to lack some OpenGL funtion as well.

My spontaneous guess is that your video/graphics card is not really compatible with running EL properly.

Do you have the possibility to test with another (newer) graphics card?

As you can see; the latest drivers for your card is from 2002 ( = old) and you seem to lack some OpenGL funtion as well.

My spontaneous guess is that your video/graphics card is not really compatible with running EL properly.

Do you have the possibility to test with another (newer) graphics card?

I may, if I can temporarily borrow a friend's card. I need to buy a newer card anyway, so maybe this is the incentive I've needed. Thanks. I'll let you know when I either test with another card or install a new one.

Peace,

Cobalt Raven.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.