Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
calif

Top Guilds

I just wanted to make a suggestion....don't know how feasible it would be. I notice a few guilds listed in the 'top gulids' section that only have a few members. I was thinking it would be nice (for guilds are large as RoS) to be rated against guilds of ....say.....20 or more people. So, basically what I am suggesting is that if you are unable to recruit 20 or more people in your guild, then you cannot be listed in the Top Guilds section. Obviously not a big deal....just something to 'chew on.' :hehe:

Those pages are not part of the EL website, but still, a good suggestion.

I would only include the top 20 active players though, and not all 100+ of people that occasionally wander by (for big guilds). Less than 20 players, then the top 20 get averaged with zero for the missing members.

I don't agree with this suggestion as it favours larger established guilds and a figure of 20 players seems somewhat arbitrary. I've been guilds who have a large membership but you'd be lucky if 3 or 4 people logged on in a week. I suspect many guilds get rankings from inactive members and from alts who are in the same guild as the main.

I would say, as my guild is amongst those you highlighted in the ranking tables with a high rank & fewer members, that we are currently over ranked. My suggestion would be that every guild is ranked without any exclusions but the method of calculation for the rank be changed. I'm not bothered if my guild dissapears from the ranking table as long as the system is made fair for everyone.

I'm guessing at the moment that the individual members levels for a skill are added together then divided by the number of members to give an average level for that skill which is compared to other guilds average level for that skill. Explaining why guilds (of any size) with few low level players achieve a disproportionately high ranking & those with many low level players achieve a disproportionately low ranking.

Edited by Cyrano

I agree that the guild ranking system needs an overhaul. My guild has its own stats page that somebody created for us that shows who was active in a given period of time too. I would think something like that could be adapted to show a number count, rather than names, so that you can see that the 200+ member guild showing up actually only has 15 active members in the last 6 months, or similar. (Numbers are just pulled out of a hat to give an example)

That said, I'd like to see:

1.Guild rankings by size (including something like a 27/263 active assessment with it to show active members)

2, Stats by levels or rankings to state how many players that includes and how it is calculated

3. Guild leaders and descriptions

I do miss the old guild info page on the official site, shame it only covers the 20 "biggest" guilds now. I think that "guild ranking" should be more for informative reasons than to be considered "#1" because it is comparing apples to oranges to compete like that. "Best" isn't always biggest, nor is it "highest stats ratio".

I also still think there are way too many guilds, and it is way too easy to make them. Guilds have lost the meaning/status/power they used to have, in my opinion.

easy to make, but hard to get going. kinda difficult to get members with a few established guilds around.

playerbase isn't big enough for everyone to make a guild

There was an idea further up the suggestions section about rewarding players who logged in everyday. Above Cyrano mentions the fact that many large guilds actually have only a few players who still play EL and log on regularly. Combining these 2 ideas could we keep track of how many hours a player is active on EL and include that stat into the guild rankings?

This brings up the problem of players who stay logged on for days on an end to collect action points etc. Can the server automatically log off inactive players - i.e. those who have no mouse or keyboard actions in the last 30 minutes? I have always felt that the game logs me out every time my food level hits -30...?

Edited by GreyElf

No do NOT log off people w/o movement as long as that is only way some can get action points - AcP are not practical. It is also unfair to someone who can only play for an hour and has to lose experience harvesting for that first hour. Find a solution which does not require players to stay logged in and there will be no phantom users.