Eternal Lands Official Forums
Deckara

which files to transfer from linux to windows?

I have three dual boot mahines, windows and linux. Two laptops and desktop.

I want to know which files to transfer to keep character up to date on each OS. I have already realized that the main folder back up differs from windows and linux. Got errors....

I really needed to keep my quests up to date on each OS... I did not know what is kept on server.

thanks, Deck

Edited by Deckara

That not exactly what I was referring to.

I sometimes play running linux and sometimes windows, depending on what I am doing that day. But when I copy the main folder from linux to windows I get an error whole playing. While in storage I get an error message- reading item list...

I guess I will skip the item_lists.txt and item_categories.txt as I already skip the cfg and ini files as the machines configurations are different.

I jump from machine to machine using an usb flash to update the important saves for games, bookmarks, etc.. so each machine stays updated as to my needs.

My biggest concern was the quest logs so when I switch machine or OS I do not lose what quests have been completed and at what stage in the tutorials I have completed.

I thought there might be a direct answer as to which files are not transferable between the linux and windows version as there appears to be some incompatibility. And what is kept on server that can be updated upon logging in.

I will test different transfers and see what works..

thanks for replying hussam, Deck

I sometimes play running linux and sometimes windows, depending on what I am doing that day. But when I copy the main folder from linux to windows I get an error whole playing. While in storage I get an error message- reading item list...

The item list files should be transferable between windows and Linux. Which file was the error message referring to, the lists or the categories? I only play on Linux but I've just briefly tried running the client using wine with my Linux item list files. It worked fine for me.

Edit: Works fine on windows 7 too.

Edited by bluap

I can open storage then when I hit store all, the message "error reading item list" but i could continue to use storage. It would happen only with the first action I took.

I would delete the item_lists.txt and item_categories.txt to let EL rebuild it and the problem would end.

I will try to reproduce it to give u the exact actions taken to create the error.

Right now I do not copy the files above or the cfg or ini file and have no problems. My biggest concern is the quest log anyway.

I thought this might be a known problem.

thanks bluap, I get back to u on this error..

The problem with item_list.txt and item_categories.txt is that they are CRLF/LF formatted depending on OS... Windows uses CRLF and the rest (Mac/Linux I assume) uses LF formatting.

I store my game_data folder on dropbox and only have to remember to flip the formatting before starting el.

So the code has to be changed to always use an LF formatter/parser...

Guest Panatella

Maybe it's a stupid idea but:

Is there a way to configure EL to automaticaly load/save data by default on the USB stick in a standardised file (like Eru said)?

The result would be whatever OS you use with such an "EL-multi-os-package":

1) Install EL with a batch file

2) Run first time EL

3) EL ask you which drive to use for the personal data saving

4) When you leave EL he will store the personal data in the drive you gave in step 3

5) If the drive is not pluged, EL will ask to plug the drive or ask for another drive

6) When you run again EL he takes the personal data from the drive given in step 3

I'm noob in informatic but maybe this can help to find a solution for people to use multi-os with everytime uptodate data

I did test it... no problem moving item_list.txt and item_categories.txt from linux to windows.

The problem comes from windows to linx... why is it only those files.. the rest as far as I can tell are transferable.

the quest log was my big concern... that would be a major problem for me jumping from OS to OS quite a bit..

I just do not tranfer those two files and the el.cfg, el. ini as a work around to switch to a different machine and OS.

It would also be efficient if the el.cfg and the el.ini could be placed in the Eternal Lands and .elc folder rather than in the main folder.Then u can move just the main folder to switch to different computers..

Eru, I not familiar with the format so I just have not transfer the files.

Hey, about this panatella... a portable version for usb that saves to itself.

I have to try it in windows. EL only about 330 mb with Music, sound, and bloodsucker maps..

In windows u just have to execute..

Linux is a pain, u need to set up a Launcher..

thanks bluap, eru, and panat.... hopefully someone will hear our cry.... :)

Edited by Deckara

OK, so only Windows to Linux is a problem. That's something I did not try and now I can fix the problem. Thanks.

Moving the el.ini and el.cfg files out of the sub-directories would break the server configuration facilities.

Some scheme to automatically use USB sticks and "drives" sounds complex and error prone to me. Anyway, I suggest you open another forum topic if you want it.

"Linux is a pain" - a slightly random statement that I'll choose to ignore and assume you meant to say "windows is a pain". In any case, you do not have to use the launcher on Linux. It is there in the packaged version of the game for your optional convenience. You can script running the client any way you wish.

Easy there bluap....

I was just saying that u can run a windows execute a bit easier than linx.. for every linux distro the creation of the laucnher is different but not really difficult.

As I am not a programmer though understand the basics, I have compiled on linux..

As u have read all of my machine are dual boot.. I use linux 85% of the time. but because of their monopoly only on consumer market a few situations make windows a must.. I just started to get the hang of VMware.. but then again u are still booting windows..

For the record " I hate Microsoft, Intel, and Nvidia" and my rant which was probably placed in the wrong place due to my inexperience on the forums went unnoticed...

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40879

IMHO most linux distros have fallen into the trap when in comes to Nvidia drivers, as the rant states above, "OH got to have the newest drivers" wrong.... well nvidia and possibly intel broke the drivers on old video chipsets on both windows and linux .. 2 years ago...

thumbs up to UBUNTU, for sticking with the Nouveau drivers which allow me to boot and install... the truth is I use Kubuntu...which is a better working of the original IMHO, plus I am a KDE guy.. like the control.. now if they included the nouveau-firmware upon installion it would be perfect...

Oh boy another rant.. sorry..

many thanks, bluap, and good luck fixing the file transfer problem.... Deck

Easy there bluap....
:lipssealed:

Anyhow, I've committed a fix for the item lists files, they now work on Linux and windows, independent of whether they were last written on Linux or windows.

Dude, u are the best.... I can not thank u enough...

Done so quickly, I am impreessed... I bow down to u good sir...

is that to little to much...

Deck

Edit: did the test, no more error.... great but the item.lst still will not transfer from windows to linux...

thought I would let u know.. not a big deal thank u...

Edited by Deckara

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.