Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kerrighan

Nexuses. Alternative aproximation

Do you like to use Nexuses as bonus? (read before vote)  

1. 1. Do you like to use Nexuses as bonus? (read before vote)

• Good !!! Do it and do it now !!
    • Not bad, but it needs in-deep study
    • could be good, could be wrong
    • You Kidding? It totally sucks
    • I don't know, and I don't wanna know it

I've read teh Gal... post on religions. Very good idea. However i have an alternative for nexuses that i propose to discussion

Looking at my stats pop-up, I tend to interpret naturally nexuses as affinities, some kind of natural tendency to do things "in phase" with certain parts of reality

I explain: imagine you have a vegetal nexus +2 and inorganic Nexus +3

Then, if you make potions or essences using vegetal and Mineral components Only ( well excluding the vial and the mortar) you potions could be a better than the rest ( resulting in bigger/longer effect, for example)

This way add a bit of richness to game: Not all Player made potions/essences/weapons/etc act exacly the same. They vary in price depending on quality

Follows a list of suggested Nexuses Effects

Human

.- as you human interaction is better , you get a slight discount on buying to NPC's, and get payed slightly better when you sell to them

.- As you have some natural knowledge on humans, you get a small bonus fighting humans

.- For same reason, you get a small bonus Healing humans ( question arise, can you heal creatures?)

Animal

.- Animals tend to move nearest you, making easy to hunt them

.- Bone powder potions/essences made by you are a little better (what means better depends on potion)

.- you get a bit more exp on manufacturing fur items

Vegetal

.- your minimum level to harves vegetal ( flowers, cactus, veggies) is slightly reduced

.- you harvest limit is a bit higher than normal 120 or "cape" 160 per hour ( only on vegetables, not mining)

.- your potions/essences involving plants are a bit better than the rest

Inorganic:

.- your minimum level to mine is slightly reduced

.- you harvest limit is a bit higher than normal 120 or "cape" 160 per hour ( only on mining, not vegetables)

.- your potions/essences involving minerals/ores are a bit better than the rest

.- you get a bit more exp on manufacturing weapons/shields

Artificial

.- your minimums manu levels are slightly reduced ( for everything)

.- given your natural affinity to what's is made, instead of grow or born, you get a small bonuses on using all kind of armors, weapons,and tools

Magic

.- Your minimum spell level is slightlly reduced

.- Your gain/recover ethereal Points slightly fast

.- You get a bit more experience by casting spells

This are only idea. All "a bit", "slightly" ,"small" and so on should be numerically defined

Also this isnot a complete pack of bonuses, they can be get separately. it has not been studied in terms of game balance. They are only a bunch of ideas that i put togheter

Opinions

Well, if you cared to elaborate on what you mean by better I'm sure it'd be appreciate it. Do you mean better as in a "Great body restoration potion" or just better when you use them yourself? There are a few conflicting things about my ideas for other things and your idea for nexuses should they be used at the same time, but me always having a downward look on things like this I doubt my ideas will be used.

Better define by example to show you Galahadh

Imagine you have:

Nexus

Human 0

Animal 0

Vegetal 3

Inorganic 1

Artificial 0

Magic 0

If you make a potion of body restoration(1 wine, 2 sun flower, 1 Rose Quartz ), THIS potion ( and all that you make) could restores 22/24 instead of the standard 20 ( adding nexuses, or adding average nexuses)

on everybody who uses it

Not planned what numbers should be because, in interest of game balance, i think this should be decided by Entropy. But changes should be sufficiently small to keep balance and suffciently large to make interesting to have high nexus stats ( posibly with an absolute maximum)

It was only a bare bones idea, not fully studied

Unfortunately, our current system does not support variable items. That is, items with non standard values. Aside for that, that's a good idea, but it needs more work (as in quantification tables).

and a problem with the potions is that none of them can stack anymore. Unless you call them different, like minor/great/grand harvest potion, but even then you'd need 3 different stacks for the 'same' potion.

and a problem with the potions is that none of them can stack anymore. Unless you call them different, like minor/great/grand harvest potion, but even then you'd need 3 different stacks for the 'same' potion.

Stacking is no problem. Many other games with potions have a slightly random effect (diablo, baldurs gate). These games do not heal exactly 20 HP each time you use a body rest. potion. The same would go with this. You just drink a potion. Sometimes you get 20. Sometimes 22 or 24. Depends on what potion you pick.

But Entropy's point is more valid. It's impossible.

You could turn it around though. If you use postions made out of these elements (for which you have high nexuses) you body reacts better to it. So you heal more. So to take back Kerrighan's example about vegetal and inorganic nexuses. You would not create a 22 HP body rest potion. You would just heal 22 instead of 20 HP.

Heh, atleast you get real replies XD Keep up the work, perhaps we could even work together on some things?

Sander. your proposal it's interesting, but has one very big trade-off. If i make better potions, They sells better( a bit more expensive) giving a big puush into game economy. Now quality Matters. If effect is better for me, price is the same and only i win. so no real effect into the game community, which was my original intention

Entropy. Sad to here that. Don't know how much work require the change

. There are other issues , like identification of better potions without having to buy and use ( an Appraisal/identification skill ?), but i think things like this make game different from othersand more interesting

Felix: inorganic means mineral, but also means metal and in the future could also mean stone,gems,wood,etc

Galahad. Also though on that. What if nexus levels get aquired only by adepts of certain religion by doing some quests? Sound it can fit in your Religious plot?

Also a one minute ago idea

What if some of the item's made taking profit of nexuses are binded to the creator Religion adepts or ( more delicately) to ONE specific religion adept

( something like Galahadh's pickaxe of Silver mining - suposing galahadh have high inorganic/artificial high values- or ( jeje) xxxx's glove of Eternal harvesting - suposing xxxx is a god who influences Vegetal Nexus AND glove Maker is a believer of that god and has high Vegetal/artifical nexus values - ?

This way also gives more variety of items without having to specifically program it. Game server only need to make this objects persistent

Anyway, as entropy said. it's only a dream by now. If system doesn't support non-standard items cannot be done by now

inorganic means mineral

must be an americaln thing, here inoganic is understood to be something not of an "organic" chemical structure (Hydrocarbons, e.t.c) of which a few minerals are.. thats from an entirely scientific view though, I'm not taking into account marketing talk like "organically" grown veges and the like

I like the idea of different quality stuff, but it isn't very feasable. However, I was also thinking of another idea for nexuses. How about using them for keys? For instance, you need so many vegetal and possibly animal nexuses to visit a jungle, which may have unique animals. Artificial and inorganic nexuses are needed to access an area polluted by mining dwarves. Human nexuses allow you to visit a large city, complete with dilapidated buildings with gargoyles, a sewer network where gobs hide, and a cemetary with skeletons. Also bandits sometimes band together to raid the city.

Sander. your proposal it's interesting, but has one very big trade-off. If i make better potions, They sells better( a bit more expensive) giving a big puush into game economy. Now quality Matters. If effect is better for me, price is the same and only i win. so no real effect into the game community, which was my original intention

I know. I just proposed it because Entropy said that it isn't possible in the current system. However, if he's willing to change the system I would definately pick your idea over my own.