Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kilrari

How to make this truely great

What do you think about having events and news in the world?  

1. 1. What do you think about having events and news in the world?

• This is very important and needs to be implemented.
    • I don't like the idea and want the game as is.

Ive played MANY online rpg's and there is a common flaw in pretty much EVERY game out there. I feel that Eternal Lands should be the game that breaks the chain realizes the flaw. And that is a lack of events and lack of a progressive world. I was hoping that at this stage of this game, something must be done before the trend continues of boring day-day gameplay. By a progressive world I mean there should be daily (or even weekly) news or events in the world. Imagine this game with daily news of politics, national events, wars, and the world. You can even incorporate this into the new continent that is coming. For example, there can be an ongoing threat of war from another continent because of reasons such as colonization and resources. There should be news such as diplomats from our continent going to negotiate, but there is a plot from some unknown high-ranking people from our continent who want war and will try to destroy the negotiations. This could be a sub-event where players must try to foil the plot with some detective work. Finally, war is declared by the other continent and players are supposed to ship out and invade the enemy before they come and destroy us. (Thus being the story and opening of continent 2). Players who choose to join the invasionary army will go to the other continent and fight a huge battle with the enemy forces. There are limitless possibilies for this and some dont require something as big as having a new continent. An example is: "Today, a large clan of goblins have raided the Valley of the Dwarves." When players go to VOTD, they will encounter hundreds of goblins and they have to defend the valley.

Please consider this very carefully because without unexpected events and news, this game will get stale. There can only be a certain amount of gameplay updates, but this can constantly keep it fresh and great to play. If you are interested, Entropy, I would even be delighted to help with creating story lines and news.

I agree with that, and I reckon it could be done without actually having to spend a great deal of time completelty reprogramming every five minutes.

The beauty of how the Gods are currently set is that alliance shifts/game changes could in theory be done with a minimum of fuss and keeping the flow of the rpg going.

e.g Selain is currently friendly with Mortos and enemies with Aluwen, but at some point in the future the gameplay could be switched entirely, guilds and all, if Aluwen bought Selain's allegiance away from Mortos because say... she wanted to make a change to the lands but couldn't do it without him.

Suddenly changing the god's allegiances for short periods could affect how players were acted towards each other, and a guild might be severely weakened if it had mostly Mortos/Selain followers who suddenly found themselves on opposing sides in a religious war.

Depending on how far you wanted to take it, players could be penalised skill for remaining in a guild officially affiliated to an enemy of their God (this would probably only be temporary until the alliances went back to normal), or you could rely on their willingness to keep to their rpg characters.