IMG_0929_t600.jpg

IMG_1905_t600.jpg

IMG_1912_t600.jpg

IMG_1931_t600.jpg

Picture_060_t600.jpg

IMG_2665_copy_t600.jpg

Winter my ass...

8:10 AM.

"James! The tornado sirens are going off!" yells my sister.

Dazed from sleep, I only hear it as a loud buzzing.

Searching for radios and flashlights wans't easy, for 'nado's be me biggest fear.

Winds are gushing and objects are scraping on the ground outside.

Sirens go off, and everything is silent, in seconds.

All's good, so I go back to my room and sleep.

5 hours later, my mother wakes me up,

"Police are outside with megaphones, telling everyone to get inside, ther Tornado Sirens are down, and there's another coming!"

Police had signs saying, "Take cover!"

Luckily, this one missed us, along with the rest of the storms to follow.

Reports

One Kansas University student was reported with minor injuries. Lawrence Memorial Hospital reported that three people with storm-related injuries were being treated there, one with scalp lacerations, two others from an automobile accident in which the vehicle flipped over.

Across the city, power lines were down, creating hazards and leaving tens of thousands of residents without electricity. Reports from across Lawrence indicated that mobile home parks had been severely damaged, that fallen trees had destroyed cars and battered homes.

Tim Pinnick from the city's Neighborhood Resources department walked downtown blocks surveying damage, trying to get a handle on exactly how many homes and storefronts were wrecked in the storm.

"We can't really get around the city," because of heavy traffic and downed trees, Pinnick said.

He didn't have an estimate on damage yet, but found several buildings with blown out windows, awnings ripped from buildings and whole sections of roofing strewn along sidewalks and streets.

Neighbors near the Nunemaker-Ross farm northwest of Lawrence reported seeing a tornado touch down, killing several cattle. That report is not yet confirmed.

"We had a small tornado touch down in our backyard," said Kris Kohnke, calling in from her home in the 2700 block of Inverness Court.

One witness on Pleasant Street in North Lawrence said a number of trees had been broken in half, that one residential roof had been torn away, and that a backyard shed had ended up in a nearby yard.

Edited by jjk

eep...

well, i always i thought it would be cool to wittness one of these, but of course, never want for any of the awful things 'nados' bring.

The only thing i've ever had close to a 'nado' was a really bad thunder storm with some pretty fast winds. Nothing ever too serious. just lucky i guess :)

-kat

That's terrible! I'm farther up north (near Chicago at the moment) in Illinois, so the worst we had were lots of wind and severe thunderstorms. I'm glad you and your family are all right. Nice video, I especially liked how you included the "commentary" in the background.

Living this close to Chicago means we don't usually have tornadoes sweeping through, though we've had plenty of tornado warnings, and my elementary school, only a half mile from my house, was ripped up by a tornado in the 1950s.

The worst I've ever been through personally was March of '00 or '01, being outside when suddenly 80-90+ mph winds hit, and my best protection was my umbrella. Too stunned to move, I held the umbrella in defense until I could finally get my brain to work. I flung the umbrella up in the air and ran as fast as I could for the garage. That was one of the scariest things I had ever been through, my mom was screaming at me from the garage to come back, but I couldn't hear her over the winds, even though I was only on the sidewalk. The winds ended up doing some damage to our roof, but that was it, really.

That storm took down SBC/AT&T, so my internet just came back up.

The commentary was the EAS on a radio, held next to the camera.

(Emergency alert system)

There were 113 tornado's in Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana; from that storm.

My town had 4 funnels, but no 'tornado' for say.

It was classified as a MICROBURST.

We have 2 colleges, 60% of campus was damaged.

EDIT : : : Sirens are being tested today, at 1:30 pm. I hope they are back up. >.< I should record that, just to prove my story. ^.^

Yup, yup, sirens are going off.

Edited by jjk

This is the second time i've gotten in a conversation about this thread, so I will update it.

My town declared a state of emergency, so teh military could help repair.

Odd thing, not ONE tornado warning all summer.

Ouch.... I thought the storms I was in were bad.

Typhoon Paka Gaum '97

La Plata Tornado (2002?) Came within 2 miles of slaughtering my house.

Might dig up some pictures and post them if I can find them... and you don't mind...

Try to safe there :)

wow. ive never really had a bad storm cept for in '88. we had a horrible tornado. but i was a baby so i dont remember

So was I. *highfive*