Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sheesh

Game -Vs- Reality

This is my first post having just joined the game yesterday. So I am a newb. But please excuse this and bear with me. In RL, I am a wildlife biologist and an expert in native animals and their habitats--flora and fauna.

You have an awesome game, but seeing it is still in beta, I will be happy to answer any questions and give suggestions on what could be used to add to the game to make it realistic. Some things I have noticed are off a bit for a realistic theme--however, being an expert in my field, I tend to notice what others accept.

Some things noticed are as follows:

Beaver: Beaver are total herbivors--meaning they eat trees. They never attack humans. But I do understand the need for them in game, so here are some suggestions to add to the realism.

1. Beaver, by nature, like to build dams. They do this on creeks, streams, and rivers. Keep them inland near water sources--not on the outer banks near huge bodies of water.

2. Where there are beaver, there are also a lot of downed trees. Beavers create wetland habitat. So, with this in mind, some trees nearby should be standing but dead--no leaves, or dying--some brown leaves.

3. If you want to put an animal on the outer banks, try a raccoon. These animals are highly rabid--and may need some sort of potion to cure the attacker if biten severly enough.

Flora: All of your flora (flowers) are basically cultivated and not native. They should be used strictly near homesites and ruins. For suggestions of what else to use, I would be more than happy to give names and sketch what the plant looks like--from base of leaves to flower--along with height and colors, habitat they should be used in (some plants grow in sun, some shade, some in forests, some near water) and medicinal uses in RL to make it as realistic as possible.

So use and abuse me if you need to. I would be happy to help if you want.

Just keep in mind that this is a game, not an outdoor excursion.

Keeping monsters in certain locations are hard since they can wander all over the map they are on: The EL beaver seem to be the non-dam building type that also defends itself when attacked. The EL beaver does not attack humans or other animals.

But who knows, a beaver dam or two might find it's way into the game.

Flora: There are actual living gods in EL, where a few of them cater to the flora and fauna. Elandria, the godess of Harvesting, supposedly spread these flowers into the wilderness at some point. Then Aluwen and Zarin saw the beauty and added some to it. As a result, we have some "odd" flowers out there.

Then again, there is no Elandria or Zarin or Aluwn RL either.. :angry: