Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Quall

Question About What Is Allowed.

Hello, I have decided to make my first map a winter/snow themed map. However, I wanted to add a little bit of water. Here are some reference shots for my question.

http://img11.exs.cx/img11/9287/s434tf.jpg

http://img24.exs.cx/img24/4113/shot20al.jpg

anyways, instead of using models to fill in the gaps between the ground and the river, I added snow edges to create an effect as if the water has frozen along the sides. If I send in a map like this, will it even be looked at? It might seem as though it loses a sense of depth, so I understand if it you want mounds and banks.

I have one more question about the ed3 files. If I wanted to create my own, is there some kind of exporter for milkshape (or other 3d modeling program)? Is there a way to import a current ed3 model for snowy re-texturing?

I'm not the one to tell you what is allowed and what isn't, but I can give you advice.

Stick to the test map guidlines that have been stated. Show Moonshadow that you know the editor inside and out, and show you have some artistic license.

I understand your zeal for wanting to make a snow map, because I had that same zeal months ago. And so i will tell you, if you make the test map and it is good enough, then you will have access to tons of snow objects and things, and could start working on a p2p map.

What I'm advicing you to do is:

1. Do what you need to do so that you can

2. Do what you want to do

:o

Thanks. Actually, I hadn't realised there were snow textures. I just looked at the included textures and objects and did not see anything.

I will take your advice and create something less original and more into the flow of the game.

However, I would still like to ask if there is an exporter for ed3 models. Also, if they support animations, like if I were to create a windmill (just an example).

I am just trying to learn about the engine in these questions.

Roja uses Blender (unless the exporter for Milkshape got fixed).

There are programs on the web that allow importing and exporting, but I'm not a 3D modeler, so I don't know where.

my thought is to make all the water look like its frozen, like have snow spots on it and make it so it can be walked on etc.. cause that would make better sense then just the edges being frozen

I live near a stream and only the edges usually freeze, that is why i suggested that. However, I do think it would be better be able to walk on it.

We have ice textures already...but like Ravenod said, you can only access them if you've done a testmap and all looks well.

We do have exporters for milkshape & blender of course, however if you want to make objects for the game you have to make what I tell you you can make, or if it is a neat enough object-basically it all has to be approved by me. That means it has to be good enough quality to go in the game..so don't just make objects and automatically think i'll accept them is what i'm saying basically ;)

no problem. Actually, I just wanted to do basic winter models or retexture current models. At the time of the question, I didn't realise that there were snowy maps available already. I just briefly looked through the textures and maps included.

We have ice textures already...but like Ravenod said, you can only access them if you've done a testmap and all looks well.

We do have exporters for milkshape & blender of course, however if you want to make objects for the game you have to make what I tell you you can make, or if it is a neat enough object-basically it all has to be approved by me. That means it has to be good enough quality to go in the game..so don't just make objects and automatically think i'll accept them is what i'm saying basically :blink:

or you know where to look LOL