Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dumbledore

Should make 'shouting' cost material points

I've played other online MMORPG's and shouting in some of them costs material points. This avoids all of the mindless chatter that pollutes the newbie help channel and the market channel. It prevents spam and mindless banter about fanta and such on the channels. Shouts could cost 1/10 of your material points on main channels, encouraging people to go to other channels or use private chat for private matters.

Just a suggestion :P

Dumbledore

By 'shouting', I assume you mean talking on the channels, as opposed to local chats or PMs. If this assumption is wrong, forgive me for misunderstanding and ignore the whole passage below.

If that's the case, people on the Newbie Channel, especially the very new players and the NHs would be seriously affected. A typical NH-newbie conversation would last about 5-6 posts from each before the newbie is properly oriented (knows how to get out of buildings, eat food, equip items, spend PP, etc.). NHs and other helpful players would probably be down to 1 MP after a few hours. And the new players would probably be a little bit scared to see their MP dropping with each message they post.

The counter-objection to this would be newbies PMing people, and queenjenny's idea of mentoring newbies. But again, I don't think it would as effective as talking on the channel, because you can learn a lot from just listening in to other people talking. I learned most of my information that way. And lastly, channel talk (even the "mindless chatter", to some extent) allows newbies to get into the community a lot faster than PMs or local chat to people who may be busy or AFK. I won't go into the other arguments why channel talk or 'shouting' is better than local or PM, but you get the picture. :)

While there probably should be a solution to help clean up some of the extra chatter on the channels, I don't think this will do the trick. (No offence) :)

-Lyn-

grr, what should be done is to make one able to be on more then one channel at the time. that way one can move chatter to general chat, trade to market and so on. problem is that entropy or someone need to do the server bit and then someone needs to do the client bit. and right now it seems that the rewrite of the quest system into a script system is takeing all of entropys time...

If that's the case, people on the Newbie Channel, especially the very new players and the NHs would be seriously affected. A typical NH-newbie conversation would last about 5-6 posts from each before the newbie is properly oriented (knows how to get out of buildings, eat food, equip items, spend PP, etc.).  

-Lyn-

Lyn,

On the Newbie Channel there are very few Newbie questions. Most of the chatter on that channel has to do with fanta right now. The questions from newbies are often drowned out and not even answered because people are too busy talking about other things.

A huge majority of all of my newbie questions have been completed in one or two questions. And you do heal over time.

Alternatively, we could make this go into effect after lvl 7.

This would eliminate all the spamming that's going on as well.

I believe (see my post in the #abuse section) that sending a global message (in blue text) should cost half of your material points.

Thanks again,

Dumbledore

So if Ent decides to use the global message for telling something which takes more than 1 message, you mean he should die? ;) Mods and admins also use the global messages for other purposes. Not just for contests.

In general I don't think this would work. Getting punished for helping a newb or asking a question, is IMHO not worth it. I'll just stop going into channels then. I don't think many people would be left in the channels.

So if Ent decides to use the global message for telling something which takes more than 1 message, you mean he should die? ;) Mods and admins also use the global messages for other purposes. Not just for contests.

In general I don't think this would work. Getting punished for helping a newb or asking a question, is IMHO not worth it. I'll just stop going into channels then. I don't think many people would be left in the channels.

In Redmoon-online they have this system and it works quite well. You never die from chatting. Your life amount is reduced a little bit if you do shout.

How many posts in the newbie help channel have to do with newbie help?

You could make it cost no points for newbies, or moderators who help them.

i think htat i heard that a multi channel chat window is in the plans and i think that it would help out a lot.

Just enforce better, denoob people if they really can't stop chatting in the newb channel.

People that aren't a NH will get hurt by this. People that do help and do not chat about misc things. I think it's fine the way it is, just that the rules must be enforced better. People now tink..."Oh look! I got kicked!" They go right back and continue

When they get muted..."Hey I'll just go back when the mute is over to continue"

Maybe harsher punishment...after enough warning of course.

of course but most of the chatter is from noobs, and well people hate questions on channel 3 right?

[Noob]: how do i eat?

[....]: go to channel 1

[Noob]: i was denoobed

of course but most of the chatter is from noobs, and well people hate questions on channel 3 right?

X FIG why are people denoobed?

Basically I agree with Kamikze. I understand your position and the type of player you are, Dumbledore, after reading your other posts, and I do empathise, but I feel that the majority of the EL population is not going to support this idea. Many of us play in the game and continue to play in the game because of the community - and these friendships were built up partly through chatting on the channels. Although the rules do prohibit mindless chatter and spam, I feel it's important also to allow a little bit of slack once in a while and let people talk - provided there's no other pressing business. This 'fanta' thing is probably just a passing fad, and will blow over in a week or so.

YES, it detracts from the role-playing aspects of the game, and YES, it can be annoying especially if the channel is not fulfilling it's purpose. (I can only speak for the Newbie Channel, since that's the channel I most frequent - or used to frequent...) However, one has to take into account the demographics of the players. Full-grown adults are probably a minority. And "youth", as they say, "likes to talk". People who get irritated by the mindless chatter on the channels always have the #lc option. :wink:

However, having said that, I also do believe that there is a problem with genuine newbie questions not being answered at times. The best solution, I feel, is simply better enforcement of the rules and more dedication from the NHs/mods - both official and unofficial. In fact, it's pretty good as it is, isn't it? Hazor, fig and the rest should be doing their jobs fairly well. Entropy chooses his mods and NHs carefully now, and there are still plenty of helpful people on the Newbie Channel who aren't NH (and who would not get exempted from this rule, by the way) Hopefully, as duran and 70347 said, the multi-channel chat system will allow players to send comments to the appropriate channels (although it may get a little confusing, with possibly 5 simultaneous conversations going on at once).

Basically, you can't force people to stop mindless chatter, or to stop spamming, if they're really determined to. The NHs have been given sufficient powers to moderate the channel, and I DO strongly feel that this method, while it may be partially effective in cuttting down mindless chatter, would also have greater negative effect of discouraging people who are willing to contribute usefully to the channel, and severely damaging the sense of community that keeps the players together.

-Lyn-

if they can't stop spamming or insulting the list goes on

Many of us play in the game and continue to play in the game because of the community - and these friendships were built up partly through chatting on the channels.  

-Lyn-

We only have two channels out of thousands with topics. It's not too much to ask to have a focus on two channels:

1. To help people start the game. The newbie channel is villed with 'inside baseball' chats about orange fanta and obscure references. This type of chat is very exclusionary and is meaningless and not welcoming to a real newbie.

2. To sell items. The market channel is filled with people who post the same items every ten seconds and people who are using it as a chat room once they are kicked out of the other room.

In these two cases I believe a limit on shouting is required.

if they can't stop spamming or insulting the list goes on

Do you think true newbies, the ones who dont know how to eat are the majority of those who are denoobed?

people use one channel for all things right now as they cant have a diffrent channel active at the same time. if they could have say marketing and general shat open at the same time it would easyer to enforce the guidelines of the channels as then one realy could tell the person to go talk on the general chat and expect him to find people there...

Guest Doombringer

People do use different channels, but as everytime u log on your on the newbie channel, thats the one ppl use, I think the way out of this is to change it so the default channel is general conversation, and when you start it is the newbie channel. This means that the newbies at the start will be able to learn about channel swapping, and all the stuff they need to know. And when they get a high enough lvl they get the general chat as the default channel.

I agree with duran as it would get better if there was a multichat, then player will be 'promted' to go on other channels. Plus i think that a list should be on the channel saying how many plp are on it, thus making it easier to sell thing on the market channel etc.And if it stills annoys you all then type #lc

Thanxs for your time

Doom