Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kRub

Spells/other things icon location

I came with an idea to change a bit, some points (Eternal Lands visual aspect), to make it better than it is already.

Well, when you get poisoned by someone or some other entity, you can realize an icon on left-bottom client area, which indicates you have been pisoned. Well, That icon could appear above player's head. The meain reason of this is because you could easier realize you have been poisoned.

But not only poison, but Heat Shield, Cold Shield, Magic Protection, Radiation Shield, True Sight and Invisibility also. In other words, all these spells and other effect made by an animal (such as, red snake that poison players) that takes some time for player to loose such effect.

NOTE: From my point of view, will not be that hard to make this. As a programmer (or studying to) I don't see any big issues to have this done, The way EL uses to show the "HUD > Alpha Behind Name/Health Text", could be modified to let be shown an icon/2D image above player's head.

Edited by kRub

nah then if u have heat,cold,radi,magic immu,poison,invis,true sight etc... then you would have like 1 whole string of signs on your heard and by doing so those signs have to be very small for them to fit there so it would take a long time for people to check if they are poisoned or have casted this spell since those icon are preety small so imo i dont think they should be placed on top of players heads

How about instead of placing icons on top of the player's head actually make the player "glow"?

Heat Shield - You player can have a sort of reddish glow

Cold shield - blue

radiation - purple?

magic immunity - yellow

poison - green

invisibility - transparent

true sight - glowing eyes? :D

Just an idea... :fire:

[sarcasm] A transparent white of course :fire: [/sarcasm]

Don't ask me, my suggestions only go so far lol :)

Possibly a glow for each section of the body?

e.g. if you only have cold shield you are entirely blue glowing, although if you also get poisoned in the mean time, half your body becomes a blue glow while the other becomes green for poison? :D

PriVate:

I mean, above character's name. But as you said, it needs to be quite small or it would takes out some visibility from player. No idea how it would be like, but I think would be cool. I know nothing about how laggy could it be though (probably as laggy as putting icons on left-bottom?)

P.S. : maybe making icons a bit smaller than they are actually would no make big problems.

Tauren:

I've already gave this idea (don't ask anything about it), but the answer was it is impossible because of game design. I'm sure anyone who know something about having glows on character will reply and we will surely understand why can't such a thing be implemented.

PriVate:

I mean, above character's name. But as you said, it needs to be quite small or it would takes out some visibility from player. No idea how it would be like, but I think would be cool. I know nothing about how laggy could it be though (probably as laggy as putting icons on left-bottom?)

I doubt lag is an issue here, size is of main concern. Take a screen with 640x480 resolution (lowest res available), everything is already cluttered and the environment that is visible around the player is minimal, these icons would need to be very small so as not to cause too much hassle. Then you change the resolution to say 1680x1050 (mine), if the icons were small with the low res, they will probably be nearly invisible with this res. Unless the icons can change size with the resolution, I don't really see it happening.

Tauren:

I've already gave this idea (don't ask anything about it), but the answer was it is impossible because of game design. I'm sure anyone who know something about having glows on character will reply and we will surely understand why can't such a thing be implemented.

Yeah I know, horrible idea lol :P