Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Florian

Actors fading in and out of sight

Hi,

sorry I didn't find the thread in the programming forum, but I know ttlanhil mentioned that before:

actors should not just (dis)appear when they come in or out of sight range.

Today I saw somebody using invis pots on IP, and his char was translucent. So the code to draw chars with support for an alpha value for the whole char is already in the client. Now let's connect it with the add/remove actor events! :P

So the code to draw chars with support for an alpha value for the whole char is already in the client. Now let's connect it with the add/remove actor events! :P

Well at this stage the code is implemented by a "ghost" flag, so code would still need to be added to enable a transition.... however... transarency isn't what you want for actors disappearing. They should fade into a neutral colour, rather than become translucent. This is much harder with out a common distance "fog".

A transition to a low-information "anonymous figure in the distance" actor?

This could be used to send/populate actors out to a greater distance than the detailed actor/enhanced-actor allows. Would be useful when FP-views mean you see further into the distance.

Well, I don't understand how the ghost mode works, but if the transparency value is made configurable, actors could fade out by changing the alpha value from 0% to 100% which would not be as good as disappearing in some kind of fog, but way better than just *snip* and gone.